Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very serious internet connection problem (I'm desperate...)

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Good questions, Untalented.

On the laptop, please do the following twice; once when you are connected directly to the modem, and a second time when you are connected to the router via wireless; label each log accordingly.
  • Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
  • A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option Scan your system.
  • Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading Modems and Network Adapters. Look at Network Adapters (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green PASSED; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand Network Adapters, scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here. *NOTE: In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Advertisements

Kratos says no

Kratos says no

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
BIG THING

Ok, so I went to my friends house, and I can connect to his router just fine, and the internet works.

But the LAN still doesn't, when directly connected.

I think this means that both my router stopped working, and the LAN on my laptop stopped working, at the same time.

So one of the problems is my router. If there are any fixes any of you know for my LAN, let me know. If not, I'll just have to get the LAN adapter replaced...

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
The only thing is your Desktop works connected to the LAN port on your Router. So unless only the wireless function of the router is borked then it's not broke.

If you can have your friend or someone else connect to your router via wireless and see if they can get on that would be a good test. If you setup your router and know how to do this you may want to reset its configuration and reconfigure it to see if this helps. Only do this if you know exactly how to get it reconfigured.

It may be beneficial to go to your manufacturers website and download updated drivers for your LAN adapter and see if this solves anything. I know it technically shouldn't as the problem just came out of the blue, but you never know.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Another thing, when connected to wireless, at the top of network connections, at "Internet Gateway", under "Internet Connection", it says "Disabled".

When I connect my laptop to my wireless now, I am able to ping both 192.168.1.1, and 192.168.1.100. The former is slower than the latter. But I still can't ping google or anything.

......this is very strange. I tried connecting my laptop directly to the router while it was plugged into the modem.

The LAN then shows up as connected, at 1 gbps...ipconfig/all gives me the same as with my wireless, except with an IP of 192.168.1.101.

Internet gateway still says disabled, and then it gets even stranger. Now I can ping 192.168.1.1, but not 192.168.1.100. Still can't ping google.

Okay need a little clarification.

1. Where it says Internet Gateway I don't recall seeing this except in Vista. Where are you seeing this is this is XP? Just confused where you are seeing this as disabled.

2. With your laptop on the wireless you said you could ping 1.1 and 1.100. Which device is 1.1 and which device is 1.100?

3. With the LAN directly connected to the router you can ping 1.1 right?

4. Can you post an ipconfig /all with ONLY the wireless connected to the Router then one with only the NIC connected?

Could you still answer the above if possible as well.