Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Help! PC + MAC cross over connect + wifi internet access

• Please log in to reply

-PmaC-

-PmaC-

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a Desktop PC running on VISTA and a MAC Book running on LEOPARD. They are both connected to the internet via a WIFI router network.

I mainly use my PC as Data storage and im constantly transferring data from the MAC to the PC, but since im not the only one using the wifi network, i dont want to send my files through that network so i transfer the files from the MAC to a Portable Harddrive and then re-transfer them to the PC. Yes its time consuming a pretty stupid.. i know.. :)

Anyway, now i decided it would be time to connect my 2 computer on their own network (local). So i decide to hook them both up using a CrossOver RJ-45(ethernet) Cable. But im having hard time configuring everyhing. None of the computers see each other and worst is that on the mac once i change my network to local it cuts my internet connection. .. bleh its kinda complicated....

Basicaly :
..................................((( WIFI INTERNET ROUTER )))

......................./............................................................. \

.................(( PC ))......................................................... (( MAC ))
.................... l_________CROSSOVER CONNECTION_________l

Here's kinda what im trying to do.

PC connects thru WIFI router for Internet Access
MAC connects thru WIFI router for Internet Acess

PC and Mac communicate together thru a Ethernet Crossover connection.

Any ideas?

Edited by -PmaC-, 17 May 2009 - 03:10 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey -PmaC- -- welcome to G2G :)

The main issue you are going to run into is that you are trying to use an ad-hoc network within a typical network setup environment; these two will actually conflict and are likely the reason you are having so much trouble. The type of setup you are trying for would be extremely difficult between two Windows-based machines; between Windows and MAC (which are notoriously difficult to network for many people) you are going to have an absolute nightmare.

Is there any reason why you do not want to share files via your wireless router? While wireless doesn't have the same throughput performance as an Ethernet connection, it would still work. Of course, many wireless routers also come with Ethernet ports, so you could always temporarily connect via Ethernet when you wish to share files.

Let us know what you decide and we'll try to work through it together; sharing files via the router is really your best (or only?) bet.
- Dan

-PmaC-

-PmaC-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi! sorry about the long delay... i got really busy and had to put that problem aside for a while. And now it has resurfaced!

Firstly! Thanks Dan for the great reply. From what you said i guess i only have that one simple option of resorting to using the WIFI. I'll try to set this up on my own. And if i hit any bumps i'll let you know.

Thanks again! :)