Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 hdd 1 computer

• Please log in to reply

texasredneck

texasredneck

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
first of all thank you to everyone who helped me with my last topic. now new question can i put 2 hdd in 1 computer with diffrent os one has win xp the other has win 7 and i want to know if there is a way to be able to pick which os i want to use that day or how do i or can i transfer the movies and other programs to the hdd with win 7 thank you in advance.

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
yes you can,

each system can read and write to the other, as they both use NTFS,

on the boot issue there are a couple of ways,

1) go into your bios and set whichever drive as first boot hard drive, this will need to be done each time you want to change o/s's

2) find out if your bios supports F11 boot options, to do this use the poweron button on your pc and keep tapping F11, with a bit of luck you will come to the boot option chooser screen,
use your up and down arrows and enter to choose the boot device

3) use a third party bootloader, i use grub on mine - grub tutorial

4) modify boot.ini - never done this, but i believe it can be done

5) use bootpart, i didn't have much success with this so i changed to grub - bootpart tutorial

texasredneck

texasredneck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
would i set both hdd as master or keep one slave.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
one set to master at the end of the ide cable and the other set to slave