Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem connecting to internet

• Please log in to reply

rye

rye

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
so the other day I was deleting stuff off my computer to get space and I guess I deleted something and now my connection or speakers won't work.

I guess I deleted the realtec folder but I got it back and it still don't work.

I don't know what to do.

I have a gateway and vista.

please help.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey rye -- welcome to G2G :)

Your best to would be to attempt a System Restore to a point before you began deleting content. If you do not have a restore point available, or if it does not correct the issue, please do the following.
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type devmgmt.msc and then press the ENTER key.
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, you should see your network adapter; do you? Does it have a red 'x' or a yellow '!' beside? Does it state it is running properly in it's settings?
- Dan

rye

rye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
when I try to run system restore it don't work.
because I only have a local disc and it says I can't restore because it has windows files on it

and thanks for the welcome!:)

rye

rye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey rye -- welcome to G2G :)

Your best to would be to attempt a System Restore to a point before you began deleting content. If you do not have a restore point available, or if it does not correct the issue, please do the following.

• Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type devmgmt.msc and then press the ENTER key.
  • Under Network adapters, you should see your network adapter; do you? Does it have a red 'x' or a yellow '!' beside? Does it state it is running properly in it's settings?
- Dan

read my post above about system restore. and it's a yellow ! and it says error 39 windows can't load the device driver for this hardware, the driver may be corrupt or missing
please help:)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Do you have the driver CD that came with your network adapter OR do you have the drivers loaded on your machine? If you do, try Step 1. If you do not, please post the make and model of your network adapter, or download your network adapter drivers from the manufacturers website.

Step 1 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.

rye

rye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Do you have the driver CD that came with your network adapter OR do you have the drivers loaded on your machine? If you do, try Step 1. If you do not, please post the make and model of your network adapter, or download your network adapter drivers from the manufacturers website.

Step 1 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.

• Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so.

thank you for all the help, trying now, I've been doing this all from my iPhone, I'll let you know how it goes.

edit: it didn't work. restarted computer it tried to reinstall driver but it said failed..

Heres more information, I'm on my brothers computer, but ever since whatever I deleted, My webcam, sound, built in mic, and internet is no working, under Network Adapters i says Intel®Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection #3
and the realtek is Realtek RLK8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
But again, any help will work.

Edited by rye, 18 May 2009 - 07:12 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
When you reinstalled the adapter, did the New Hardware Wizard pop up? Did it ask you to locate the drivers? Or did it do it all automatically? What error (fail) message did it give you?

What sorts of things were you removing from your machine? What folders were you in?

rye

rye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was in the Program Files folder, and. No just the bottom right of my screen it said, Installing New Drivers, then it said it was insalling Intel (blah blah) then it just didn't work anymore it said failed.
Thanks again!

-Rye :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Okay, we might try downloading new drivers and reinstall those drivers specifically. So, is the Intel adapter your primary network adapter? You mentioned deleting the Realtek folder; what devices/hardware use Realtek?

One thing I will suggest is ensuring you haven't damaged any System files; please run the System File Checker -- you may need your Windows Vista CD / Recovery Disc.

rye

rye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Okay, we might try downloading new drivers and reinstall those drivers specifically. So, is the Intel adapter your primary network adapter? You mentioned deleting the Realtek folder; what devices/hardware use Realtek?

One thing I will suggest is ensuring you haven't damaged any System files; please run the System File Checker -- you may need your Windows Vista CD / Recovery Disc.

it seems like realtek is for almost everything. but me and
my brother have the same computers I got the realtek from his computer but it still didn't work (cd)
then I put the intel for my computer from the gateways site.

overall I just figures out there's quite a few yellow !

I'm clueless.:/

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey rye,

This sounds like it actually may be more serious than a simple inability to connect to the Internet; for this reason I would strongly encourage you to start a new thread in the Windows Vista and Windows 7 forum; this issue is more suited to that forum than this. Include all of the details you have posted so far in this thread.

I hope you are able to get the help you need -- if they are unable to help you, then please return here and we will try a few other things; however they will be far more likely to be able to resolve your issue.

- Dan

rye

rye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey rye,

This sounds like it actually may be more serious than a simple inability to connect to the Internet; for this reason I would strongly encourage you to start a new thread in the Windows Vista and Windows 7 forum; this issue is more suited to that forum than this. Include all of the details you have posted so far in this thread.

I hope you are able to get the help you need -- if they are unable to help you, then please return here and we will try a few other things; however they will be far more likely to be able to resolve your issue.

- Dan

what my main goal is now is to system restore. I think that would fix it, but I'm having a problem do that.

I posted a topic there about system restore.

thank you for all your help.