Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MAC Address Help

• Please log in to reply

joefuf

joefuf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
At my high school, my laptop has been blocked on the wireless internet that we have. I wasn’t doing anything bad, it’s just the policy that the administrator told our IT guy – if a new MAC address pops up that he didn’t hook up, he’s supposed to block it. Since mine’s been blocked, I have tried a few different ways to change my MAC address (or spoof it). MacMakeup didn’t seem to take on my computer and then I tried SMAC which looked like it was doing the job, but didn’t.

According to MacMakeup my network adapters are:
RealTek RTL8186D/8111D Family PCI-E GBE NIC (ver. 6.217.226.20)
Dell Wireless1397 WLAN Mini-Card (ver. 4.170.77.3)

When I used SMAC I could change the MAC address of the RealTek one, but I think that I read somewhere that it was my Ethernet adapter.

Is there another program that I should use or a way that is easier or better to change my MAC address?

My computer is:
Dell Vostro 1520
Vista SP1 32-bit

Thanks.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey joefuf,

Unfortunately you will need to take this issue up with the IT department of your school; if it is a simple mistake as you have suggested, then I'm sure they will be able to assist you in resolving the issue. We are not permitted to assist you in circumventing any restrictions imposed by your school.

If you have any questions or concerns in regards to G2G's policies, please feel free to contact a Moderator or Administrator.
- Dan

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Whats the purpose if hes going to block all new MAC's, he will just block your new one? You can buy a new wireless card

Edited by mike171562, 01 July 2009 - 10:00 AM.