Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP CD

• Please log in to reply

tstdct

tstdct

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Dell Demension E510. It came with XP media center pre installed. I have the product key on the tower. But it did not come with a XP CD. Does anybody know how I can get a hold of one or if I can download something to put on a CD.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for all the original drivers for your system.

If you can borrow a Xp of the same type (Media Center) then you can reload it and download the drivers from Dells site.
If that is not an option then contact Dell HERE and ask them about buying a Recovery CD with everything already on it. Please let me know if I can help you more with any further information. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else you might check and thats if there is a recovery partition on your Hard drive
That could be used to reload your system without a cd. Most manufacturers will put a recovery partition on instead of supplying a cd.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You can not legally download any Windows with out paying Microsoft for it.
The key code is not media specific so you could reinstall XP using the valid key code on your computer.
Beware of copies of XP as they may have been "cracked" and could contain viruses.
It is always best to do things the legal way and avoid problems in the future.
Does your computer have a recovery partition? If so you should be able to make a recovery disc.
If not you can buy a recovery disc set from the manufacture for $20, to $30

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
And Rshaffer61 types much faster than I do!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) To HFCG :) coffee buzz going :)

tstdct

tstdct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, how do I check to see if I have a recovery partition.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to Start -> Run -> compmgmt.msc
Click on Disk Management in the console tree on the left.
Then look for a partition that has the words recovery of something of the sort. Also look for partitions that are about 1-5GB in size.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter

On the Left side scroll down to Disk Management and click on it.
On the Right you will see your Hard Drive
Is there a small Partition that will usually be marked with something like Recovery or System area

tstdct

tstdct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh ok... I guess I should have mentioned this before but my PC freezes when I try to log on in the user screen. Any ideas around that? And thanks so much for all your help by the way. It is very much appreciated.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does that happen if you try to boot into safe mode too?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get into Safe Mode?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is it, you want to achieve?
Reset your computer to its original state?
If so, and you don't care about any personal data, at Dell's logo hold CTRL key, and press F11 key.

tstdct

tstdct

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

What is it, you want to achieve?
Reset your computer to its original state?
If so, and you don't care about any personal data, at Dell's logo hold CTRL key, and press F11 key.

Well, if that is what I have to do then I'll do it. But I was dumb and I have all our pics from the last few years on this computer and my wife would like to at least save them. So, if possible I'd like to save the pics. And no safe mode don't work either.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.