Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD causing explorer to freeze

• Please log in to reply

joxaal

joxaal

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My external hard drive has stopped working well. First, once plugged in via USB and turned on, my computer no longer pops up the auto play message box. Second, I am able to open the drive from my computer and view the files. Everything seems normal and I can even transfer a file or two. However, for whatever reason the hard drive will cause windows explorer to freeze. At that point I try to restart windows explorer, but it never recovers fully. Once I turn off the hard drive, without "safely removing" it, windows explorer will return back to normal. I want to at least be able to recover my files, what should I do? I run the most updated version of Vista on a Leenovo T61p laptop.
Thanks

Advertisements