Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having an AC/Battery issue... don't know where to put this

• Please log in to reply

Leashy

Leashy

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey guys.

I don't know if you normally deal with this type of problem, if you don't sorry bout that. I usually only come here for virus issues.

Here's the problem...

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop... it's about 14 months old. Occasionally, a few months ago, I would get a message saying the battery can't be identified. But then it would disappear and act normal.

Now, the battery meter says it's dead, but when I plug it in with the ac adapter, it doesn't show that it's charging. The battery light will either light up orange/red or green. I've used my son's adapter in the past when I didn't have mine available and that does not work either. As of now, it won't turn on... battery is fully depleted.

Aren't you supposed to be able to take the battery out and use an ac adapter with no issues? It still won't work plugged in, trying 2 chargers, different outlets, etc.

So it's gotta be the port you plug it into, right? What other explanation could there be?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
:) Thought I had an actual reply :)

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
When you put the plug into the computer, does it wiggle a lot?
I'd suspect that (since you've tried 2 different adapters) that the plug inside the case is broken.
The best way to "test" this is with another battery (but they're expensive).
Otherwise, take it to a reputable repair shop for a diagnosis.

If it is the plug that's bad, you may need a Dell authorized shop to repair it. In my area most shops won't work on this (because of the way that Dell attaches the plug to the motherboard) - so a Dell shop is needed.

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you so much for replying!

Now I really don't understand this. I took it to a repair shop (not dell) and based on what I said, the tech said it was most likely the power port that was loose or became dislodged from the motherboard. He put in a new charged battery and it powered right up. But when he took the laptop apart, he said the power jack is fully secure, does not move at all and doesn't seem to be an issue. He even said it had power coming from it? I don't know how he checked that part.

So he said it's the motherboard, but I don't get how it's that if it works fine with a charged battery. Ugh.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The power jack is attached to the motherboard. If the jack isn't charging the battery, then the battery won't turn the computer on once it's discharged.

Did he offer to replace the motherboard for you? If so, how much will it cost? Motherboards are awfully expensive so it may not even be worth repairing. If that's the case, it won't hurt to take it to another shop for a second opinion.

I don't work on laptops myself, so I either send them out to a repair center (very expensive) or I recommend another shop in my area (for second opinions and work inside the case).

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes he offered to replace the motherboard.. the board cost $150. I don't know of anyone around here besides him that does laptops, so other than sending it out, I didn't really have a choice in replacing it. It works great now, but still a bummer. With the labor, it was around 300 total and I think we only paid 450 for the laptop in the first place. Oh well.

Thanks for the info!

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes he offered to replace the motherboard.. the board cost $150. I don't know of anyone around here besides him that does laptops, so other than sending it out, I didn't really have a choice in replacing it. It works great now, but still a bummer. With the labor, it was around 300 total and I think we only paid 450 for the laptop in the first place. Oh well.

Thanks for the info!

Leashy

Leashy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Thanks for the info!