Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Temperatures:
CPU 75 °C (167 °F)
SAMSUNG HM160HC 49 °C (120 °F)

Just noticed that your CPU is really hot, but that isn't our main issue here. By interrupting the chkdsk process, you may have risked the integrity of your filesystem. What error is given at startup.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm that needs to be checked out.
I would get it to a shop and have them check that temperature out and soon. that is really high for a cpu

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
no error is given it would just freeze and after a while it would restart on its own and when the welcome screen would pop up (after i would cancel the disk check) it would automatically reboot with no error messages.....how do i cool down my computer?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Take it to a shop, because there might be something wrong with the heatsink or thermal paste.

Otherwise you could try to clean the dust yourself. Open up the case, and make sure you have one hand on the metal of your computer case to avoid static discharge. Use paper towels to wipe the case clean. DO NOT use a vacuum. Also have handy a can of compressed air to get the dust out of hard to reach places. Make sure that no liquid comes out of the can, and follow the instructions on the label.

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok....will do....it will have to be until tomorrow though.....other than this what else do i do? is it a malware problem?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It could be a malware issue, so keep checking for a reply from the Malware Forum.
Just clean up the case for now. Once you are done cleaning, post the sensor data from Everest again.

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok i took off the casing and cleaned it out....there was alot of dust.....here is my report

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer LAPTOP
Generator Menace
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-05-19
Time 16:04

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures:
CPU 75 °C (167 °F)
SAMSUNG HM160HC 43 °C (109 °F)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It's still very hot.
Take it to a shop and have them look at it. Tell them your CPU's temp reading, and the steps done to try to fix it.

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok cool deal ty for all the help! :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You are welcome. Hope the shop can resolve your problem! :)
Please post the outcome of this.

Advertisements

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok will do....thank you once again :)

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
still looking for shops.....i found a few mom and pop spots but i dont really trust them....will post again tomorrow

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right. You can try some services like Geek Squad, but they might cost you more.

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok im back sorry about the delay.....well i had some research done and it looks like its going to take a while because i dont really have a lot of money to fix my computer....they didnt tell me what was wrong with it they just told me how much it would be and i dont have that much money saved up.....ty for the help though....it is greatly appreciated :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I suggest you finish up all the topics you have opened in the Malware Forum. If a topic has been closed contact a mod to reopen them.

You are welcome! :)
Thank you for coming to Geeks to Go.
If you have any more problems or questions, please feel free to ask them.