Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Card Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, i have an Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection built in wifi to my laptop. Yet, it does not work everytime i scan for wireless networks mine does not come up. I know my wireless router is working fine because i can connect with my iphone and with my xbox 360 as well. My ethernet cable works just fine. Is there something wrong with the device?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Menace_19st,

Has this issue always happened, or did it only start recently? Normally, the only reason why a network would not be displayed is if it has been added to your cards Blocked List. Do you have the latest drivers installed for your network adapter? This is the most common cause, resulting in a configuration mismatch and subsequently blocking the network.

Are you using windows to configure your wireless (WZC) or do you have Intel software handling it? Have you taken your laptop to any other (public) networks and seen if it could connect?

- Dan

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi Dan,

Thank you for the response first of all, and to answer your question I am using Windows to configure it not Intel. Also, yes all my drivers are up to date and windows cannot find a better driver for it. Ive tried taking it to other networks but i get the same response from my wireless card (no networks available)........oh and it used to run fine but i had to wipe out my computer due to a virus and it hasnt worked since.

Edited by Menace_19st, 21 May 2009 - 12:14 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
The first thing you need to check is that your laptops wireless switch is turned on. Depending on the laptop, this will either be a button (usually near your power button) or a function key. Ensure it is on and working.

Have you tried connecting your laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable? Does it connect?

Please download the drivers from Intel's website. Uninstall your adapter and then use the .exe file to re-install it. Any change?

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
- Dan

Menace_19st

Menace_19st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
After i installed the new driver my wireless device acts the same......here is the post you requested....

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : elp.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : elp.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-0D-15-2D-CB

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.41.127

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:29:36 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 22, 2009 9:29:36 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-35-63-F0-B3

Edited by Menace_19st, 21 May 2009 - 10:35 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry for the delay; I've been busy lately.

It's sounding like there's an issue with your wireless adapter itself. Honestly I'm thinking that your adapter simply isn't being switched on, despite the fact that you are try to. Let's try see whats going on under the hood though.

Please post the name (SSID) of the network you usually try to connect to.

Step 1 - Enable wireless tracing (Windows XP):
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh ras set tracing * en
  • Restart your computer. Upon reboot, attempt to view available wireless networks -- *Note: it is important that you note down the time that you tried to connect, as I will need this information in order to identify where in the log to look -- please post the exact time (Hours, minutes, day, month).
  • Once it fails, navigate to %WINDIR%\tracing -- either type that manually into your explorer address bar, or navigate to your system root (i.e. C:\Windows\tracing).
  • The files we're interested in are
    • Wzctrace.log
    • Eapol.log
    • Wzcdlg.log
    • Netman.log
    • Netshell.log
  • Please ZIP these files and then upload them as an Attachment.
    *Note: if they are too large, I will PM you my e-mail address and you can send them to me that way.
  • Once you have uploaded the ZIP file, you can disable tracing by opening a command prompt and typing netsh ras set tracing * disable