Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP or hard drive problem?

• Please log in to reply

JJL54

JJL54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Two months ago, computer was very sluggish, taking forever to get into programs. Then I thought I was having problems with speakers [crackling and slurred]. But when I took the speakers back to the store, they played perfectly. I then startd making hardware changes: I went from 2X256RAM to 2X1GBRAM; and changed my sound card.
I cleaned/defragged a few times; air cleaned the computer/fan; ran "pcillin" for viruses/malware, and one other[?].
It seems that only after downloading and running these cleaners from the internet that more, deeper problems began.
I started getting the blue screen of death, repeatedly, but was able to recover to reestablish an earlier restore date. After the need for a couple of blue screen/restores, I since have been able to access Windows, but with many functions being curtailed, such as - making calendar changes; sending emails [while I could still receive!?]; my computer no longer recognizes windows media player any longer. I'm able to copy/burn dvd's within all of this mess! I'm able to use Word in this. I no longer save anything to the C:drive, but on a 16GB memory stick. I've already copied most of the folders/files onto memory sticks.

Questions:
1. Does this sound like my Windows XP needs to be either repaired or reinstalled? If so, is there a web page to walk me through this labyrinth?

Thx for any help. [new member today!]

jjl54

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The random problems that you describe indicate to corrupted software. This may, or may not, be fixed by windows repair. If not, you may have to format the hard disk, reinstall windows, all drivers, applications, passwords etc. Before you do anything I suggest that you post in the malware forum of G2G. Use the link in my list below and follow the instructions. When your computer is declared clean, and if still having the same problems, continue with the present thread.

JJL54

JJL54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks "trusted tech" from "N. of Israel"!

I followed your advice:

1. I ran ATF cleaner
2. I ran ERUNT
3. I ran Malewarebytes
4. I have an antivirus through my server, SHAW CABLE
5. I retrieved all Windows updates for XP
6. I ran Rootkit
7. I ran Old Timer List lt 2

While I'm able to perform a few more functions since these scans/fixes, the following anomolies persist:
a. WMP11 - while playing music, and then opening up other programs, the music breaks up into sound fractments [not music!] while the other program/s are engaging. Once they're up and running, the music is restored to normal.
b. I still cannot right click to get the menu without the appearance of the box, entitled, C:/Program Files Shaw/Communal fpshx. And in the box, it reads, "Error loading resources for: file not found." After clicking "OK," the menu does then appear.
c. I am now able to send/receive emails. Before, I could only receive emails.
d. Also, the calendar now is fully functioning, allowing me to make new entries, and to get into each item to input data.
e. The system seems to be still working slow.
f. The computer/windows never shuts off and/or is able to restart. It's locked in "Windows is shutting down." But it never shuts down. I have to manually turn it off.

Note: I have recently upgraded the RAM from 2X256MB to 2X1GB.
Also, I replaced the sound card, having believed that the music breaking up was a bad sound card.

DELL Dimension 4700
Windows XP
Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz
2GB RAM
160GB hard drive

thanks in advance for any help in resolving these outstanding issues.

jjl54

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your post indicates that the assumption that malware was involved with your computer's problems was justified. We must make sure that your computer is clean and for that we need the help of the malware forum experts. If I understand correctly then you ran the preliminary tests but the computer was checked yet by the forum helpers. Please post the required logs and wait for their help. After they declare your computer clean, and if the problems persist, please continue with the present thread.

JJL54

JJL54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Attached are the logs requested in order to further define my problem.

Additionally,
1. The fan never stops, sometimes fast, but always going.
2. I still cannot stop and/or restart the computer, without doing so manually.
3. And now, Outlook window does not respond to being minimized. It closes instead. All other programs respond to being minimized.

Thanks for looking further into my situation. My hope is that this may shunt the need to reinstall Windows XP. But if not, then so be it.

JJL54

Attached Files

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
As a matter of forum policy, only Malware-Forum experts can help you with cleaning the computer. Please use the link in my list, follow the instructions carefully and post the required logs in the Malware Forum. If you still have problems after the computer is declared clean, then post again in this forum (Windows Forum).

All the problems that you describe can be related to malware, even the one with the fan. For this reason we must make sure that the computer is clean first.