Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to update old laptop

• Please log in to reply

nanacama

nanacama

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have an old HP laptop (XP) that has never been on the internet. It has no antivirus program installed and has no windows updates since SP1. It does have wireless capability and I would like to update it and use it if that is possible.

After connecting it to the internet, would I install the antivirus program first, or do the Windows updates first? Can you go directly from SP1 to SP3? I have Norton Internet Security 2009 available, but I don't think it is possible to install that without first connecting to the internet. This would also be my first attempt to set up a router, etc.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please bear in mind that If your computer is really old, it may slow down considerably after the installation of windows updates and antimalware programs. Some antimalware programs will not work with your version of XP. I doubt if your Norton 2009 will. There is also a risk that the computer will show various problems after the service pack installation, but in your case, judging by your post, the risk is quite small. We need more information about your computer before recommending anything. Please write down the make and model.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.

Once you can access the internet, you need to install an antivirus first. Avira, Avast, and AVG are free and good ones to use. Norton and McAfee are resource hogs and do not always play well with the computers.

You can then install the updates and service packs. You can go right to SP3. I would recommend only installing a few at a time. Reboot, check to make sure all is good and then continue with the updates.
SP3 includes SP2.

You should also have a anti-malware program. Malwarebytes is very good.
Also recommended is a anti- spyware program. Recommend Spyware Blaster.

The recommended programs and their links are detailed in the link below on safe computing.

You should read HERE on SAFE COMPUTING about safe computing.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

nanacama

nanacama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The laptop is an HP Pavillion ze4560us.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your computer can, and should be updated with all windows updates. You should expect a drop in performance. Please install an antivirus before you connect to the internet. Considering the capabilities of your computer, and for various other reasons, I recommend Avast which is relatively light on resources and, in my opinion, is the best antivirus. In addition I would recommend Malwarebytes. It's an excellent program and, since not running automatically, will not affect the computer's performance too much.

Please note: Before you do anything run computer cleanup and defrag. When your updates are downloaded, before you install them, Please disconnect from the internet and disable the antivirus. This is important.

nanacama

nanacama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm sorry to be dense, but since Avast has to be downloaded from the internet, how do I get that on the laptop BEFORE connecting?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Download it to another computer.
Then copy the install file to a USB drive.
Then insert the USB drive in the computer that is not yet connected.
Then run the install file from the USB drive.
Go through the install process, and reboot.

nanacama

nanacama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks everyone for all this helpful info - I learned some things I hadn't considered. I'm going to continue using the old laptop just to preview photos on trips (and play Freecell in the hotel room) and put one of those skinny new notebooks on my "wish list."

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So, is your issue resolved?
If you need any more help, post your questions here. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Don't get discouraged by others, who voice their opinions before checking any facts.
Your laptop is still a decent laptop: http://h10025.www1.h...;product=374485
- AMD Athlon XP-M Processor 2500+ (1.87GHz)
- 512MB of RAM expandable to 1GB
- 40GB

All you have to do is to download SP2: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en on another computer, use USB stick to transfer it to your laptop, and install it.
SP2 gives you Windows firewall, which is the most important security feature, you need.
Now, you can safely connect to the internet, and download, and install antivirus program, and all other Windows updates.
I'd skip SP3 for now.
You'll be good to go in a short time.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

512MB of RAM expandable to 1GB

You might want to get that upgraded. You will see a great improvement in system performance with the addition of more RAM. Your laptop is fairly decent actually. My processor is a very old P4 that runs at 1.8 GHz, and I have only 100GB of space and I have never had any performance issues with my computer. I use Norton, which is known for eating system resources, but I have never seen it take over my computer in any way. You don't need to choose a light security suite b/c of the age of your computer.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Personally, I'd avoid Norton at all costs.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Personally, I'd avoid Norton at all costs.

:) Everybody says that.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Broni, who is discouraging the OP, and who is not checking the facts? What is this nonsense? The OP wrote that he has an old computer, without specifying any details. The recommendations that we would have given him are dependent, to a very large extent, on his computer's performance. I have seen lots of old computers bog down almost to standstill by the installation of service packs, and especially by modern antiviruses. After the OP gave us the details we were even smart enough to check the data and come to the same brilliant conclusion that you did, adding what many computer users are not aware of, that reduction in performance can be expected.

Regarding your post specifically: I disagree that the firewall is the most important part of computer protection. Instead of downloading sp-2 (why not sp-3, by the way) we recommended that he download Avast, which takes about 5 minutes and then connect to the internet to download Windows and AVAST updates. Fast, simple and correct.

Last word: respect to other helpers is at the root of this forum. Even if you disagree there are ways to present your opinion without offencing. I had a similar incidence in G2G in which I was the offending side. The cold shower I got was perfectly justified. I'll never forget it and I try not to repeat the same mistake.

Regards

The Skeptic

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am very sorry if I have offended you.