Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to update old laptop

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, nanacama clearly stated his computer brand, and model, so it's easy to check its specs instead of speculating.

Secondly, this:

I disagree that the firewall is the most important part of computer protection. Instead of downloading sp-2 (why not sp-3, by the way) we recommended that he download Avast, which takes about 5 minutes and then connect to the internet to download Windows and AVAST updates.

is incorrect approach to security issues.
When the computer doesn't have any protection, the most important thing, and the only thing you need at the moment to securely connect to the internet is a firewall. Antivirus can be safely downloaded, when the computer is already connected to the net.

Then, I can't see how it's possible to offend anyone just by simply disagreeing with someone's opinion.
In any case, if someone feels offended by any of my posts, I apologize.
I hate cold showers, though...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The OP gave the details after I asked him to do so. My advice was given after referring to his specs, so stop this speculating business which I don't know where you took it from.

I disagree with your opinion regarding the intial protection of a computer. I have seen lots of computers infected minutes after connecting to the internet because of not having an antivirus. I have seen none that was infected because of not having a firewall.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I have seen lots of computers infected minutes after connecting to the internet because of not having an antivirus. I have seen none that was infected because of not having a firewall.

Then, we live in different worlds.
However, I don't won't to argue, so this would be my last comment about the issue.

nanacama

nanacama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I really have not been "discouraged" by anything posted here, and I appreciate everyone's input.

It's just that I had failed to consider that windows updates and an av program would slow down the computer, and I don't want to do that; because my husband and I both use it on photo trips to preview photos and even do a little editing with Adobe Elements.

I have also been wanting to access the internet on these trips, but have decided I prefer to hold out for a new notebook for that purpose.

I have been helped by this forum before, and I greatly appreciate all of you.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You miss the entire point, broni. I couldn't care less if we had professional disagreements. What is not acceptable to me is the way you deal with other participants in this forum. Just deflate your ego a little bit and don't belittle others.

Keep doing the good job that you are already doing. I realy think that you contribute a lot to this forum.

Regards

The Skeptic