Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP; No upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Blueheart

Blueheart

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello:

I am looking for help, as almost everyone that visits your site.

I had a virus (malware(?)) infection, which blocked me even from accessing my AV site McAfee with updates. They helped me in getting this back, but in the meantime I downloaded ThreatFire and Live OneCare. With these I think I got rid of the virus and malware, but I still was not able to access any of the MS products updates.

My problem is that even after I have reinstalled Windows XP and repaired Office XP and reinstalled Internet Explorer 7 I still can not get to the update sites, I can get to the pages before downloading, but when I hit the button to download I get the screen “internet-explorer-cannot-display-the-webpage”. This also happens with many sites that have .exe file names, I have tried following some of the instructions on your forums and I have not been able to download some files. One more thing, when I go to the http://support.micro...om/default.aspx site and click on the link Downloads & Updates and tab Microsoft Update I get to the error 404 on the Google website.

Because I have seen it on other forums, I am sending you my latest HijackThis Log.

I hope that you can help me with this problem.

Thank you

Attached Files

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.