Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Notebook Ram

• Please log in to reply

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an HP nx9010 Celeron 2.8Ghz notebook - which was sold as having 256MB of RAM. However the "system" tab on the control panel states that I have 192MB! Can someone tell me what this means, where are my other 64rams :-) ?

The reason I looked - was because the PC is slow and I want to buy more RAM - so I thought I would look and see the specs of the RAM, only to find 192MB.

My other Q's, I hope you will excuse my ignorance, are -
Must I buy exactly the same brand? (this is a new laptop out the box) how would I find out what type?

Can I buy another 256MB - does this add to what I have already?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
just look in the manual of what type or ram you have and just buy the same kind of that- unfourtunalty you cant just buy any laptop ram because it wouldnt work with your computer if it wasnt the same type, to your other problem, open up the ram port of your comptuer and test to make sure that 1) the memory is secure and if it is 2) switch the memory around to see if that is just a bad slot

hope that helps.... :tazz:

Nodnerbial

Nodnerbial

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you. Yes that does help. I will check and make sure. and I will get the same type.

Some specs posted on the net for this PC say 256 MB (266 MHz) DDR SDRAM (256 MB SODIMM in slot 1) - is that what you mean by type?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the other 64 megs are likely being taken up by the onboard video. this uses shared system resources, so it takes up part of your ram to dedicate to graphics.
adding more ram will definitely help overall system performance.