Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware Protect 2009 & Packed.Generic.200, Newbie, please bare wit

• Please log in to reply

BigDogBK

BigDogBK

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, here is the deal. Yesterday while troubleshooting something with Apple (iTunes), I was instructed to disable my Norton 360. When I enabled Norton, I noticed something "funny" about my computer performance. Next Spyware Protect 2009 popped up, and I was unable to reach internet sites. I ran Norton 360 and it found Packed.Generic.200. I researched for hours looking for an easy fix, no such luck.

I turned off my pc and disconnected the internet and went to work this morning. Upon arriving home to try to "fix" it, I found that now my computer will not advance past the Windows XP startup screen.

I was able to start the PC in safe mode (F8) method. Here I ran AVG per a request from a friend. AVG found and removed 15 files including several trojans. Hoping that this fixed everything, I tried to restart, but the computer will not advance past the sign on screen.

I attempted to install Malwarebytes in safe mode but the install locks up at the end of the process.

What do I do now?

I'm extremely new at this, and have never experienced or troubleshot a virus before. I have many gigs of music and family photos on the pc that I don't want to lose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

BigDogBK

BigDogBK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was able to download AVAST and run it in safe mode. Upon starting it finds a virus and states that I have a virus in the operating memory, and asks to run in boot mode. I say yes. Upon completion, a menu pops up asking me to select 1-9 or press esc to exit. Unfortunately, my keyboard would not work so I had to power down the computer.

Is this virus disabling my input devices so that I cannot remove it?

I even tried an "old fashioned" keyboard (non usb) but that wouldn't work either.

BigDogBK

BigDogBK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Bump...

Nobody will help me?

BigDogBK

BigDogBK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've made some progress. Ran Avast in Boot mode and removed several trojans. Now am able to start windows in regular mode. Running another scan now.

BigDogBK

BigDogBK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have attempted to download Malwarebytes several times. I have been able to get it to install (takes about an hour), but the program will not run.

I have already spent ~20 hours trying to "fix" my machine. Before I go further, can you answer a couple of questions:

1. If I only clean the machine, will I ever be able to trust it again?
2. If I perform the system restore (cd that came with machine), will that solve the problems?
3. If I buy a usb hardrive to move all my important files to, can the viruses jump to this drive?

Thanks!