Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Private Network Securety Query

• Please log in to reply

Grizzly696

Grizzly696

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Guy's

Firstly I'd like to apologize if this I on the wrong section, I was stuck between networking and security threads and which one to post in. :)

I'm currently using a VPN program called Steganos Internet Anonym, the program uses a 128bit-SSL encryption method.

The question is that I wish to open some ports on my computer, would my open ports be vulnerable to attack even behind both my active firewall & anti virus which are Outpost Firewall 2009 & Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009? In addition would it show on my IP (rather then the VPN's IP) that I have open ports if I stumbled upon by a snooper?.

I do apologize for my naivety on this subject, I love computers and computing but when it come to networking I'm terrible.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mark-564d6db866
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Steganos VPN Adapter:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V8
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-A4-FD-91-DD

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 14:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-1A-ED-94
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.155
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

Sincerely

Mark

Edited by Grizzly696, 18 May 2009 - 10:15 PM.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Couple things here.

#1 I wouldn't use more than one local firewall on a single machine. You can however use your routers firewall and then a local firewall

#2 When your device connects to a VPN it obtains a local IP address to that network.

For one you should not have to manually open ports to allow a clientside VPN to work. However, if for some reason you are required to you were asking what that can potentially mean to you. This means that "potentially" someone portscanning could see these open ports. However, if you're only opening the ports on your "Local" firewall and not on your routers firewall then you aren't causing any real threat to yourself unless someone on your local network was malicious and scanning for open ports.

Lastly, by connecting to a VPN you are potentially vulnerable to "The Other Network" in which you are connected to. So just verify this is a trusted source like an office connection and such.

Hope this helps.