Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c000021a Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply

dizzz

dizzz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
This started after i downloaded and installed windows update service pack 3 to my winXP SP2. my laptop is Dell pc3200, 512mb ram

i cannot log on, it basically says " "stop: c000021a (Fatal System Error) The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000135 (0x00000000) (0x00000000)"

I have tried everything! this is really frustrating :)

I Cannot log on to safe mode
I Cannot log on to command prompt
I Cannot log on to recovery console (it says NTLDR is compressed)
I Cannot log on to (last known good configuration)
I Cannot log on to debugging mode

no matter what i try, it basically goes to a blue screen error (c000021a) after the windows loading screen.

so i mustered my remaining savings today and bought a used laptop just so i could find tips on the web on how to fix my laptop =(

after hours of searching google and yahoo for solutions (tried everthing) im still stumped :)

i cannot use any of "microsoft support solutions" because i cannot go into command prompt, Dr watsons debugger etc etc etc.

i used the HP USB disk format to boot to command prompt - it doesnt detect my Drive C:!!!! where did it go??? =(

i used my windows XP installation usb, - it said "no bootable partition in table"

my winXP installation USB worked on my laptop before, cant figure out why it wont work now :)

ill try to borrow a winXP installation cd tomorrow from a friend and try it from there, im still a student and all my Very important Files (thesis, reports, research, notes etc) are on my laptop :) please help me recover it. :) :) help me :)

Edited by dizzz, 19 May 2009 - 01:14 AM.

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
make shure its the right verson of windows first

after you get the cd, boot up into it, go to the recovory console, type in chkdsk /f or chkdsk, then press enter.

after its done, boot up into normal mode and tell us if it worked.

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 19 May 2009 - 02:09 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig to burn a copy of the Windows Recovery console. Then boot from the disc.
Choose your Windows installation and type in the admin password. Then run:
chkdsk /r

This process will take a long time, especially on large volumes. DO NOT interrupt this process, as it could risk the integrity of your filesystem.

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi guys, the recovery console chkdsk did not work. :) any more suggestions? :) pls help :)

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
or is there a way to retrieve files in my HD from recovery console?

if i can just retrieve my projects and notes from my hard drive then i can reformatt my laptop :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks rshaffer. ill try it right now :)

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
quick Question, im on puppy linux desktop, but i cant seem to find my files. ive read the help files but i still cant seem to try it :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
i believe you can search for them and then just drag them to the burner. I'm reading it also as it has been awhile since i used it

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 May 2009 - 04:14 PM.

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh i have to mount the drive. wow this is cool. i think i can work with this. thanks again rshaffer :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome. Please keep me updated and when you have everything backed up then we can continue with the reinstallation. I want to make sure you get all back up and running correctly after this is all done. :)

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
wow! cant believe this. i just fixed my pc.

- i just downloaded some random winlogon.exe from the web and saved it in my usb.

- booted up with puppy linux.

- mounted my hard drive

- moved winlogon file from usb to system32

my laptop is fixed again.

the only problem right now is, it takes forever to boot. i might've gotten the wrong winlogon.exe file for my winXP profesional? or are all winlogon files the same?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't believe so but there could be other issues we can search out if you would like.
To start I would suggest following the next steps in order and then let me know how it is working.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

If this does not work then:

Go to:
Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 May 2009 - 05:12 PM.

dizzz

dizzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok ill do that :)

nevertheless, im just happy my pc is up and running again :) i can live with a slow booting.

rshaffer you are a lifesaver!! thank you so much!! thank you! thank you! thank you!

----

thanks to all who replied to my post, thanks edge and tyler!

Edited by dizzz, 22 May 2009 - 05:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and as I stated if you would like to continue this topic will remain open for some time. Please let me know and I will continue to monitor it for you. As far as your original issue I just want to say:

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 May 2009 - 05:38 PM.