Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer

• Please log in to reply

meem

meem

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi
Any one know how to delete a second floppy drive ,dont know how i got 2 as i only use 1 and that is not functioning.
in my computer its showing A+B floppy ?????????????????
and 4 removable DISKS
F G H I???????????
Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Ever have those drivers or devices that just won’t go away even though you’re sure you’ve uninstalled them? Or, say you replace your old 100Mbps network card with a faster Gbps adapter. But, you can’t re-assign it the same IP address because your system insists there is still an adapter installed with that same IP address and you forgot to remove the driver before removing the old card (which is now in your little brother’s pc)?

To get rid of that unwanted driver, device, or service:
1) click on Start then Run
2) Type in cmd press enter
3) At the cmd prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1? press enter.... (Note that nothing seems to happen–this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)
4) On the next cmd prompt line, type in devmgmt.msc and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
5) In the Device Manager Console, click on the View tab select Show Hidden Devices.

Now, as you expand the different drivers and devices in device manager you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your pc (these are the usual items displayed), but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right click, and choose uninstall... to remove it from the system completely.

Be careful though; you should note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are grayed out, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you don’t need. And, be careful that you don’t change too many devices or you might need to re-activate your Windows installation.

Last thing, if you accidentally exit the Device Manager Console you will need to start over again at the cmd prompt. To close the cmd prompt window, type in exit press enter

Works with Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, all SP levels.

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) Thank you so much i will have a go,thank you for your time.
Love Healing and peace
meem