Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do we need all updates dating back to 2006

• Please log in to reply

meem

meem

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi
In the add remove i am immundated with,all these down loads some dating back to 2006 to 2009 they are taking a lot of space what can i safely remove,i know i need the updates but every time there is an update my computer is loosing disc space,i have 38.2 GB,now i have onle 9.89 GB left.
Thanks

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Good Morning:

Can I ask what Version of Windows you are using? This will help me to determine at what Service Pack Level you should be running at. For Windows XP, its Service Pack 3, for Windows 2000 it should be at least Service Pack 4, and I believe 2003 is Service Pack 1, but I could be wrong, because I have not used 2003 for a couple to three years. This could have changed to another Service Pack.

Most updates that Windows says that you need may not be removable. If you remove updates from your machine, then your machine would not be as secure as it would be if you have all your updates on your machine. I suggest that if there are Programs that you are not using, that these could be removed, as well as any other non-used Windows Components These can be removed if space is an issue, as well as to clear your Temporary Internet Files, your cookies and your history files.

It is important to keep your updates because without some, you run the risk of not being able to get further updates. Some updates require others in order to be able to get the newer updates, so it is important to run Windows Update on a regular basis. Additionally, without the most current updates, you also run the risk of not being as secure as you should be, because viruses and spyware can infect your machine easier if you do not have the most current updates.

If you could tell me what version of Windows you are running, and give me an idea of wnat programs you were thinking of removing, I may be able to assist you. Note that I run XP SP2 at the moment.

Good Luck!!

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 19 May 2009 - 06:11 AM.

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Afternoon Brian,
I am on windows xp it is working well and has done for years,let me first explain i am a retired mum of 62 my children say i act 32 .
I self taught the computer about 8 years ago,and i am from the old brigade if it is not broke dont fix it.
but i have notice my add and remove are getting quite full,i do remove all unwanted in the add remove as well as clear all the browsing history cookies data and passwords,in the internet options,i also do disc clean up and defrag quite often i also reduce space from system restore and i clear all recent restore points.
It seems every time i do an update i am losing space.
hope that you understand ???
meem

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

if it is not broke dont fix it

this is the right way to think...BUT...we need to know EXACTLY what you have before we can tell you what to get rid of...go here and get
EVEREST HOME VERSION 1.51... install it and click on the software icon...plus sign ...installed programs...report...quick report...plain text...
name it and save it to your desktop or where you can find it again and attach it to your next post...

Edited by happyrock, 19 May 2009 - 10:10 AM.