Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox window/tab won't open if one is already open

• Please log in to reply

grenet

grenet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm running the latest version of Firefox 3.0.10. If I have a Firefox window open, then the links on my desktop and in my folders will not open a new window (or tab) - they simply do nothing. They will ALL work if I have no Firefox window open, but once a window is open, none of them work. I have Firefox set to open a new WINDOW, but it behaves exactly the same way if I set it to open a new TAB.

I can right-click the link, choose "Properties", copy the URL to the clipboard, open my Firefox application (to a Google home page - this ALWAYS works) and paste the link (or paste the link in the window that was already open ) and get to the page this way - pretty awful.

The internal Firefox bookmarks work, but I rarely use them. I need to use the links that are in folders with other items, according to their topic.

It has not always been this way. I think it was this way once before, but seemed to fix itself. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas, guys?

Thanks,
Anna

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The internal Firefox bookmarks work, but I rarely use them.
this is the right way to use them

I need to use the links that are in folders with other items, according to their topic.
you can use folders in firefox's bookmarks ...put the links in there...even if there are several for the same topic...when you click on the folder one of the options is to open them ALL...

the way your trying to do it will, if successful, open a whole new browser for that link...this will suck all your resources quickly...
get 3 or 4 browser windows open at the same time and it can/will bring your computer to a standstill...

Edited by happyrock, 19 May 2009 - 06:45 PM.

grenet

grenet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

The internal Firefox bookmarks work, but I rarely use them.
this is the right way to use them

I need to use the links that are in folders with other items, according to their topic.
you can use folders in firefox's bookmarks ...put the links in there...even if there are several for the same topic...when you click on the folder one of the options is to open them ALL...

the way your trying to do it will, if successful, open a whole new browser for that link...this will suck all your resources quickly...
get 3 or 4 browser windows open at the same time and it can/will bring your computer to a standstill...

I have a lot of memory precisely because I need to have several browser windows open. I keep my documents and links for a topic together in a folder. I want to click the link in front of my eyes, not go searching around in bookmarks for the same link. I need to be able to use my desktop links again - they used to work fine. This works perfectly fine in Internet Explorer - I click a desktop link and a browser window opens - whether or not another is already open.

I'm just trying to find someone who has some idea what might cause Firefox to suddenly begin behaving this way. I don't want to have to go back to I.E. - I prefer to use Firefox if I can get it to work right again. Does Mozilla have ANY technical support for Firefox at all?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get tabmix plus addon for firefox..
then click on tools...TABMIXPLUS options...set it like you see in the screenshot...it should then open a new tab using your link...another setting is in EVENTS...tab focus...put checks in all the boxes...click ok...then you should be on the webpage you just clicked on in the folder

Edited by happyrock, 20 May 2009 - 11:12 AM.

grenet

grenet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

get tabmix plus addon for firefox..
then click on tools...TABMIXPLUS options...set it like you see in the screenshot...it should then open a new tab using your link...another setting is in EVENTS...tab focus...put checks in all the boxes...click ok...then you should be on the webpage you just clicked on in the folder

Thanks, that looks really nice if you use tabs, but I don't use tabs, and I'm really looking for a way to FIX this Firefox problem.

When I click on a paypal link at a vendor's website, I get an error moving from that page to Paypal and I think it's all part of the same problem with new windows when one is open. I just want to get Firefox working properly again, like it did originally.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good luck ... :)