Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Failed to Initialize Properly?

• Please log in to reply

Dena2384

Dena2384

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I downloaded this program called DialIdol, which uses ur modem to speed dial votes for American Idol. Everytime I click to open it up, I get an error saying "The application failed to initialize properly. (0xc000007b) To terminate the program, click OK." I dont get the error when using any other programs. Just DialIdol. I've also had problems installing Windows Updates recently, but I dont know if the 2 issues are related. They download but don't install. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Dena2384, 19 May 2009 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Uninstall Dial Idol and then reinstall it.
Describe exactly the problem you are facing with Windows Update. Which updates won't install?

Dena2384

Dena2384

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I still got the same message. I

The updates I'm having a problem installing are
Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
They download but when I go to install them, I keep getting a message saying the updates failed. I tried troubleshooting thru the Microsoft site, but it's too confusing.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922377
Follow the troubleshooting tips there for .NET 1.1 SP1. This is the 1st update that you need to install.
Take the steps one at a time, and you should be ok.

Edited by edge2022, 20 May 2009 - 05:28 PM.

Dena2384

Dena2384

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortunately, my problems just keep getting worse. I turned on the computer today and after the Windows logo, the screen turns black. The cursor is there and it moves when I move the mouse, but the screen stays black. I have no idea what's going on. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you boot into safe mode?

If you can't, then click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and follow the directions to make a bootable disc.

Dena2384

Dena2384

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ended up reinstalling XP thru the installation CD. Only, now I cant get my internet connection working again. I was connecting to a wireless connection thru a USB adapter, but the computer wasnt recognizing the adapter anymore, so I brough the DSL modem up to that computer and hooked it up. The computer recognized the modem but it wouldnt connect. I've been messing with it for 2 days straight and I've gotten absolutely nowhere. I give up. Im about ready to throw it into traffic.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So this is how you are trying to connect:

INTERNET ~~~~~~~~~ MODEM ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Computer
using a CAT cable

Go to Start -> Run -> cmd
Type in:
ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
Navigate to your C: drive, and post the contents of the "results.txt" file in your next post.

Also give me the make and model of your computer.
Include an Everest Report too. Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig to find out how.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you did the fresh install of XP and it asked you about installing the NETWORK did you tell it NO?

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 May 2009 - 05:18 PM.