Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot up Drive Letter with 2 bootable drives

• Please log in to reply

grenet

grenet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The short question:

If I install Windows XP SP2 (retail version) on two separate drives on my computer (each originally installed as Drive C), then when either one of the drives is the bootup drive, will it boot up as C?

Currently I have 2 hard drives:
Drive 1: partition C (system) and partition D (data);
Drive 2: partition E (data backups), partition F (partition-C image files), and a 4096MB partition G (pagefile).

I run XP Home SP2 (retail version). I am planning to reinstall my system from scratch on a new hard drive (Drive 3). I plan to move the current system drive (Drive 1) to the cable with my DVDWriter, and replace it with the new drive (Drive 3). My backup drive (Drive 2) will remain as slave on the cable with the new drive.

QUESTION 1: Does anyone know what the "slave" dip-switch settings are on a 120GB Seagate Barracuda?

I want to be able to boot to either my old drive or my new drive until I finish the new installation, which I plan to take my time doing. I want each one to boot as "C" when it boots. Each drive will contain, besides the C partition, a D partition, to which I will reassign "My Documents" and the Outlook Express email store.

When Drive 1 or Drive 3 is the "boot" drive, I want it's partitions to be C and D and the other (non-booted boot drive) to be X and Y - I know I will have to reassign these latter letters when I change the boot.

My DVD drive is G and I want it to remain that way. My Flash Drives always show up as H when they are inserted and I want them to remain that way. My WD Passport drive always shows up as P when it is inserted, and I want it to continue showing as P.

QUESTION 2: When I switch the the boot between Drive 1 and Drive 3, will whichever drive is booting, boot up as C? I seem to remember that the windows installation asks if you want the boot drive to be C when you install the OS? Isn't that right? I think once each drive boots from its new place, it will remember everything else's position, letter-wise, as it seems to do so now.

I just want to be sure the new drive boots as C. I need the old drive to boot as C also, because I have many many hard-code application references and shortcuts to C folders/files that I want to still work. I should have used the %system% addressing method , instead of C:\, but I didn't. I can do it on the new drive, I suppose, except there is a lot from the old drive (including folders containing shortcuts to C and D files/folders and many SecondCopy backup profiles I use to cherry-pick configurations from C) that I want to copy over and use as they are, and they contain C:\ paths.

I will re-populate the re-located email store after I finish the new installation and begin using the new drive. I will copy over files from My Documents on Drive 1 (C or Y) to Drive 3 (Y or C) as I need them (old install folders & such to my new software "installed" folders as I install the applications on the new drive).

Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm trying to be sure all my ducks are in a row before I begin.

Thanks,
Anna

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for a illustrated drawing of the jumper settings on the back of Seagate drives

grenet

grenet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Go HERE for a illustrated drawing of the jumper settings on the back of Seagate drives

Thank you. How do you mark a post "RESOLVED?"

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Thank you. How do you mark a post "RESOLVED?"

just say "thank you, its fixed now" :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible