Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

*Update* Power issues; xclio windtunnel custom build

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TechSlave

TechSlave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
So, I finally got ASUS to fix my motherboard (and by finally, I mean they finally got it right), the fan power works, it boots up, no problems.
After a little waiting for the boot up, I get to the windows xp loading screen (using my HD from my old computer, IDE 80GB, has not been wiped, not sure if this could stem problems), and it just shuts down.

I went into bios to look and see what all there was; after looking around for about a couple minutes, the power goes off, same as normal booting.

During the POST, I only get one short beep from the speaker, (which is VGA Detected, no keyboard detected, and quick boot set to disabled).

I see no problem with the quick boot being disabled (it's not, I checked), my keyboard works, and the output on the monitor is fine.

So if it's none of these three things, what could it be?

Here's my specs:
xClio Windtunnel Case
ASUS P5K Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Processor
Western Digital IDE 80GB HDD
RocketFish 700w PSU
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT GFX Card
2GB (1GB x2) RAM

*Edit* During the running, nothing seemed weird, no weird smells I.E. 'burning,' no weird beeps, errors, messages, nothing. It just quits.

Edited by TechSlave, 19 May 2009 - 09:50 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Every time I've had the computer shut down like this, it's been a heat issue. Clean off and reapply some fresh thermal paste to your CPU and see how that goes.

Troy

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
where can i buy this and how much does it cost?
somewhere like best buy?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Every time I've had the computer shut down like this, it's been a heat issue. Clean off and reapply some fresh thermal paste to your CPU and see how that goes.

Troy

or power

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Troy

or power

I'm pretty sure it's the thermal paste though, some of it came off the processor when I'd had to keep sending the motherboard back because I put a finger on top of the processor where the thermal paste is every time I held it. So, it's a but worn off from taking it out like, 5 times.
I'm going to try that first.

-Edit- kay, so i got some thermal grease, put it on both the processor and the heatsink, soI'll see if this fixes the issue.
will update soon.

Edited by TechSlave, 20 May 2009 - 08:43 PM.

OldTex

OldTex

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi; I hope that the thermal paste helps, if there is a FRY's in your area they are pretty good at having alot of parts and stuff. I buy a lot of my stuff from NewEgg and Tigerdirect. You may have to wipe your HDD some time also, I used mine when I went from an ASUS P4 board to an ASUS P5 board, it worked for a few weeks but with all the stuff in my PC it was causing problems. I have a server of sorts. Good luck with you PC. OldTex

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks oldtex, the thermal paste worked, but im noticing that after i got into windows the first time and shut down to put my sidewindow on, itjust hangs at the windows xp loading screen.

Should i just wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows?
would that fix it, anyway?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If I understand correctly, you are using a hard drive with XP installed from an old computer with this new motherboard? Was XP pre-installed on the old computer? If so, your copy of XP is an OEM copy and is tied to the motherboard from your old computer. You will need to purchase a new copy of XP or Vista to install with your new motherboard. Alternatively, you could use the Windows 7 RC, which you can download for free from here.

TechSlave

TechSlave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Bet, I have a copy of windsows xp home that I've used on every computer I own. (It's a cracked version)
If it's tied to my old motherboard, I can just reinstall windows xp on the hard drive and it should work right?

-Edit- Yes, xp was pre-installed, but I formatted it with my own version. and i'm formatting it again now.

Edited by TechSlave, 21 May 2009 - 04:55 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Please read our Terms Of Use. We do not support illegal copies of Windows.