Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New CPU, Old Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

cyangamer

cyangamer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I'm going to upgrade/possibly rebuild my computer system that I bought in 2004. I want to know if the Intel Dual-Core Processor (Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W) will work with my motherboard or if it's too old and I have to buy a new one. It's a Xenon motherboard (exact specs are here), and the motherboard works perfectly now (it's just really dusty >_<).

I also want to get a Rosewill heatsink to put into it, and add more RAM (I have 1 gig, I want to buy two 2-gig RAM sticks to put in there).

Advertisements

TechSlave

TechSlave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
It says on your xenon mobo specs that it supports the Pentium 4 and Celeron family processors, sorry, core 2 duo is not supported.
"Processor Family P4 and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood)"
you'll have to buy a newer motherboard if you want to run a core 2 duo.

If you look at the dual-core specs you listed: "Intel Dual-Core Processor (Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W)"
''LGA 775'' is the socket type needed on the motherboard; Your current motherboard is ''mPGA 478''

If you're interested in buying a new motherboard, I'll be happy to help.
:]
-Tech

cyangamer

cyangamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

It says on your xenon mobo specs that it supports the Pentium 4 and Celeron family processors, sorry, core 2 duo is not supported.
"Processor Family P4 and Celeron (Willamette, Northwood)"
you'll have to buy a newer motherboard if you want to run a core 2 duo.

If you look at the dual-core specs you listed: "Intel Dual-Core Processor (Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W)"
''LGA 775'' is the socket type needed on the motherboard; Your current motherboard is ''mPGA 478''

If you're interested in buying a new motherboard, I'll be happy to help.
:]
-Tech

Yes, it looks like I'll have to replace it. If you could point me in the right direction for mobo buying I'd appreciate it. I need one that will work with the Core 2 Duo and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT at the very least.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi, what's your budget for the upgrades?

Troy

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
You can pickup a Core 2 Duo mobo for fairly cheap these days especially with the new intel CPU hitting the market. I'd advise checking out http://www.newegg.com. Once there under the Categories pull up motherboard. Once at the motherboards you can select your requires on the left panel, such as how many PCI-E slots your want, which processor support, and etc.

You'll be able to find a mobo there from $50 to over $200. I'd always recommended going with a name brand such as Asus.

Hope this helps.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Also I forgot to mention. An Intel Dual Core is not the same as a Core 2 Duo. The Intel Dual-Core is quite a bit slower than the Core 2 Duo and with the prices where they are I wouldn't recommended getting anything less than a Core 2 Duo.

For a small amount more you'd receive quite a bit better performance with this processor.

Edited by Untalented, 20 May 2009 - 07:37 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
An Intel Dual Core is any dual core processor made by Intel. The Core 2 Duo is one example of this. Another one that comes to mind is the Pentium Dual Core.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

An Intel Dual Core is any dual core processor made by Intel. The Core 2 Duo is one example of this. Another one that comes to mind is the Pentium Dual Core.

The processor he described at the start of the thread was not a Core 2 Duo. A Core 2 Duo and the Intel Dual Core Processor both have "Dual Cores", but are not the same.

I only stated this because his original post was asking if his mobo supported this and then in a later post was talking about a Core 2 Duo mobo. While any Core 2 Duo mobo should support the processor he originally posted, any older motherboard which supports that processor may not support a Core 2 Duo.

Above all the technology of the Core 2 Duo is far superior which is why I recommended the upgrade for the small price difference.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Oh and yes sorry many times that I mentioned Intel Dual Core I probably should have said "Pentium Dual Core." Lol sorry about that. Intel Dual Core like you said can mean a number of processors Intel provides with multiple cores. The processor he mentioned was a Pentium Dual Core, which is the specific type I was talking about.

Anyways just trying to help.

cyangamer

cyangamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the help! I know about Newegg, and I did some browsing. I even came across that CPU you linked to, Untalented, but it's nearly twice as much as the other Dual-Core. =/

My budget is around $300, but I'm willing to go a little bit higher if I find a good deal or if there's rebates. Also, I want to get a $250 order with Newegg so I can do the BillMeLater promotion.

I will look around, thanks again. :)

Edited by cyangamer, 20 May 2009 - 12:58 PM.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Sure thing. You should be able to get the CPU I recommended, Motherboard, and RAM for $300 honestly. If you need any help or have anymore questions though just let me know.