Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Improper Shutdown When Starting

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First, I have few computer skills of any kind. I have a 3 year old Compaq Presario with Windows ME.
Everytime it starts it says "improper shutdown" and starts to scan for errors.
We have let this run for hours and hours, but it never seems to finish. Any
suggestions. Thanks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go, Kowskie, and thanks for choosing this site for your Tech Support. :tazz:

As to

We have let this run for hours and hours, but it never seems to finish.

This behavior is can be caused by background processes that are frequently accessing the hard drive while Scandisks is running. Antivirus software can be the cause of this, but there are many others.

If you Have made an Emergency Boot Disk, then Boot into DOS using your Emergency Boot Disk and run Scandisk from there (type scandisk at the MS-DOS prompt).

If you don't have a Emergency Boot Disk, look here.

Hope this helps.