Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network looses internet conection on and off

• Please log in to reply

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a new Netgear wireless router and comcast high speed hooked up to two computers and one laptop. Everything was fine for a few weeks and know somedays it fine and others when I am on line it throws the two computers off both computers off line. Other days it is fine in the morning and then in the afternoon it starts throwing us off and on the rest of the day. This only happens when the main computer is online. Please help! I have the main computer netgear wirless-G PCI adapter should I not since it is connected to the router and modem? Could this be the problem? I'm confused.I need this fixed asap due to I need my computer all day long to look for a job. I also have had the Comcast desktop docter fix the problem for a short time but it allways go back to the same problem.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hi Snow,

Let me get a little clarification to better understand the problem. I'm going to list the facts as I see it below and just let me know if I am correct with the below:

• Network Configuration = Cable from the wall to the Comcast Modem then from the Modem to your Router then from your Router to your computers.
  • The Internet works fine until one specific computer is plugged into the Router
  • The main computer uses a Netgear Wirless-G PCI Adapter, which is just basically a wireless card to connect to the wireless Router

If the above is true please clarify when you said the following:

I have the main computer netgear wirless-G PCI adapter should I not since it is connected to the router and modem

Are you saying it's connected to the Router via wireless and plugged directly into the Modem via an Ethernet Cable?

Once you clarify all of the above I can better assist you.

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes you are correct on all

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Okay great.

First of all on the main computer ONLY connect it to the router or the modem. Do not connect it to both. The network should be connected as follows:

- = Comcast Cable
-> = Network Cable
~ = Wireless
[M] = Main Computer
[S] = Second Computer
® = Router
(M) = Modem

Verify Modem and Router Connection
- (M) -> ®

Ideal Computer Configurations
® -> [M]
|-> [S]

Of course any of the network cables for the computers could be replaced by wireless
® ~ [M]
|~ [S]

Once one of the above optimal configurations is in place please let me know if the same problem is occuring and if both machines can get online.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Lol and sorry my routers become copyright symbols and shrank a bit. I basically was just trying to create some visual aid though. Again like I said above make sure the comcast cable goes to the modem, an ethernet cable goes from the modem to the router, and then the computers connect only directly to the router via either Ethernet or Wireless.

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No problem. So the main computer does not need the wireless adapter and I can take it back to the store right? Only the second comput and laptop needs it right? Also the main computer since it is hooked up to the modem and router so I should hook to Ethernet?

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
And I should remove the wireless adapter software on the main computer after I removethe adapter right?

Edited by snowgypsy, 20 May 2009 - 08:43 AM.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

No problem. So the main computer does not need the wireless adapter and I can take it back to the store right? Only the second comput and laptop needs it right? Also the main computer since it is hooked up to the modem and router so I should hook to Ethernet?

The main computer does not need the wireless adapter if it has an ethernet port and cable close enough to the router. The laptop needs the wireless if you want to walk around and have access to the internet.

How is the main computer hooked to both? Does it have 2 Ethernet ports or you're saying it's connected to the router with wireless and the modem with an ethernet cable?

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The main computer was hooked up with a wirless adapeter and wirless router & modem with the ethernet pluged from the modem to the router but I now removed the wireless-G PCI adapter. Is that all I need to do or do I have to set up the whole network again?

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Okay so now just plug your main computer into the router and not the modem. The router should have 1 cable from the WAN port going to the modem.

Then test the Internet on both machines and verify all is working.

Advertisements

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The main computer allways has the connection from the computer to the router and the wireless router & modem with the ethernet plugged from the modem to the router. But the second computer is still losing the connection three times in ten minutes and know both the main and second computer (wireless) one was disconnected too. below is a message logged from min. Please help!!

Last diagnostic run time: 05/20/09 13:57:21 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Okay so now your main computer connects directly to your router and not the modem though right?

If you unplug your main computer from the router does the laptop start working again and have no problem?

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, the main computer is only hooked into the router. I unplugged tthe main computer from the router and the laptop and the second computer still works. Why is it when I'm on the main computer it is fine for hours sometime and then we all get thrown off the internet on and off? Do I need to go to "Network connections" in my control panel and change it or something?

Show Saved Files
Internet Service
Default Outlook Express Mail pop3 / aol FAILED

Default Outlook Express News Not Configured
Internet Explorer Web Proxy Not Configured
Computer Information
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600

Modems and Network Adapters
Modems Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
AttachedTo = COM3 BlindOff = X4 BlindOn = X3 Caption = Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem CompressionOff = %C0+DS=0,0;+DS44=0,0; CompressionOn = %C1+DS=3,0;+DS44=3,0; ConfigManagerErrorCode = 0 ConfigManagerUserConfig = FALSE ConfigurationDialog = modemui.dll CountrySelected = United States CreationClassName = Win32_PotsModem DCB Default Description = Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem DeviceID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_10001028&REV_04\4&3B1CAF2B&0&28F0 DeviceType = Internal Modem DriverDate = 7:00:00 PM 3/4/2004 ErrorControlForced = +ES=3,2,4; ErrorControlOff = +ES=1,0,1; ErrorControlOn = +ES=3,0,2; FlowControlHard = &K3 FlowControlOff = &K0 FlowControlSoft = &K4 InactivityScale = "3c000000" InactivityTimeout = 0 Index = 0 MaxBaudRateToPhone = 56000 MaxBaudRateToSerialPort = 115200 Model = Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem ModemInfPath = oem6.inf ModemInfSection = IntelSM6 Name = Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem PNPDeviceID = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_10001028&REV_04\4&3B1CAF2B&0&28F0 PortSubClass = "02" PowerManagementSupported = FALSE Prefix = AT Properties ProviderName = Intel Corporation Pulse = P Reset = AT&F ResponsesKeyName = Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem::Intel Corporation::Intel Corporation SpeakerModeDial = M1 SpeakerModeOff = M0 SpeakerModeOn = M2 SpeakerModeSetup = M3 SpeakerVolumeHigh = L3 SpeakerVolumeLow = L0 SpeakerVolumeMed = L2 Status = OK StatusInfo = 3 StringFormat = UNICODE string format SystemCreationClassName = Win32_ComputerSystem SystemName = BABYGIRL Terminator = Tone = T
Network Adapters [00000008] Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Caption = [00000008] Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc DefaultTTL = 128 Description = Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport DHCPEnabled = TRUE DHCPLeaseExpires = 6:50:35 AM 5/22/2009 DHCPLeaseObtained = 6:50:35 AM 5/21/2009 DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE DNSHostName = BABYGIRL DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE Index = 8 IPConnectionMetric = 1 IPEnabled = TRUE IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE IPSecPermitIPProtocols = 0 IPSecPermitTCPPorts = 0 IPSecPermitUDPPorts = 0 IPXEnabled = FALSE MACAddress = 00:0F:1F:7C:2B:95 ServiceName = bcm4sbxp SettingID = {BF87A51F-78A8-4AB7-AE63-74CD9382DB6E} TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0 TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 5 WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE
Network Clients
Microsoft Terminal Services Description = RDPNP Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation Name = Microsoft Terminal Services Status = Unknown Microsoft Windows Network Caption = Workstation Description = Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation Name = Microsoft Windows Network Status = OK Web Client Network Caption = WebClient Description = Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation Name = Web Client Network Status = Unknown

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I also noticed when I had aol dialup I had the telephone line hooked into my computer. Now that I have Comcast high speed the tech left the telephone line hooked into the computer. Could that cause a problem since I unplugged it for a while and we were all still connected to the internet?:

DISREGARD THIS POST, I FOUND THE TELEPHE WIRE WAS HOOKED TO MY COMPUTER BUT WAS NOT PLUGGED INTO THE WALL. SO I JUST UN PLUGGED FROM COMPUTER ANYWAS. SOORY

Edited by snowgypsy, 21 May 2009 - 08:51 AM.

snowgypsy

snowgypsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Below the diagnosticc report from when we were all last disconnected and then reconnected. Hope this helps! Also even when I get off the internet but just leave the main computer on and use the laptop for the internet it throws us all off and back on the internet. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Last diagnostic run time: 05/21/09 11:18:49 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration mechanism
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.1.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.1.3
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 65.55.12.249 was successfully reached
info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached
info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.1.3

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Internet Connection, Device=Internet Connection, MediaType=SHARED ACCESS HOST LAN, SubMediaType=NONE
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Edited by snowgypsy, 21 May 2009 - 11:25 AM.