Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I'm having some trouble and it's really getting to me. I've gone through three hard drives trying to fix this issue, or atleast figure out what it is. The computer keeps freezing up during install or when inside windows the system will freeze up completely. Right now I'm trying to reinstall windows on a third hard drive and it's frozen up again. They're all IDE hard drives, I don't have the power connector to run a SATA hard drive. Is it the HD or can it be another component? I've tried replacing the ribbon cable, just to try it.

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I swapped the ribbon cables on the motherboard, I took the cable connecting the CD/DVD drives and connected it to the slot the HD cable was and took the HD cable and connected it to where the CD/DVD drive cable was connected. I'm hesitant to say it's working fine right now. I've atleast got windows installed and am currently installing from the SP2 CD. Could that have been the problem? I thought the two connectors were interchangeable or do they each have their specific role? The motherboard is an ..... Asus P4P800S-X

**It's still freezing up, just rarely now. I've noticed when it freezes up my USB devices seem to die. My mouse and keyboard both quit working and lose power.

Switched USB ports, going to run it for awhile and see what happens

Edited by ADNoland, 20 May 2009 - 12:24 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the jumpers on the back of the drive have to be set to master when the drive is connected to the end connector...slave if its connected to the middle connector...or cable select for both drives connected on the same ribbon cable...they also need to be 40 pin 80 wire to work at the right speed and its a must with cable select

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Switching to different USB slots didn't work. I'm at a loss for what it could be. I don't know what to check or look at.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm lost... :) are these internal drives or drives connected to usb...
explain, in detail, exactly what your setup is...

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I should have clarified after my first post, sorry.

I thought at first I was having hard drive issues, with the system freezing up at random points during install and when running windows, then I noticed that whenever the computer froze up, all my USB deviced died, my G15 keyboard goes black, my MX518 mouse dies as well when the lockup occurs, so I don't think its the hard drive anymore. I'm attempting to figure out what exactly is causing the lockups, since they are at random and there are no symptoms for it other than all the USB devices I'm using, mouse and keyboard, dying. I have been through three different hard drives, so I don't think it's that.

Edited by ADNoland, 20 May 2009 - 02:46 PM.