Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

NTLDR missing XP after ending explorer.exe in task mgr

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my teen was impatient waiting for my pc to respond, so he went to task mgr, and in the processes window, clicked on explorer.exe and ended the process. Now, all I get when I try to start up my pc is the message: NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart...same results. This is a used computer (hp pavillion), and I do not have the windows xp disc, however there is a sticker on the side of the case, with the serial or registration #. I know very little tech stuff about computers, so explain as tou would to a total newbie, if you have any ideas for how I may be able to fix this. THANKS SO MUCH, FOR YOUR TIME! krissie in california

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
try here http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The link given by Tyler is what you need to troubleshoot the missing NTLDR problem.
You can also try this:
Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, to burn yourself a copy of the Windows recovery console. Then click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig, and follow the instructions there using the CD you burnt earlier.