Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR missing XP after ending explorer.exe in task mgr

• Please log in to reply

krissieboo

krissieboo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my teen was impatient waiting for my pc to respond, so he went to task mgr, and in the processes window, clicked on explorer.exe and ended the process. Now, all I get when I try to start up my pc is the message: NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart...same results. This is a used computer (hp pavillion), and I do not have the windows xp disc, however there is a sticker on the side of the case, with the serial or registration #. I know very little tech stuff about computers, so explain as tou would to a total newbie, if you have any ideas for how I may be able to fix this. THANKS SO MUCH, FOR YOUR TIME! krissie in california

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
try here http://www.computerh...es/ch000465.htm

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The link given by Tyler is what you need to troubleshoot the missing NTLDR problem.
You can also try this:
Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, to burn yourself a copy of the Windows recovery console. Then click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig, and follow the instructions there using the CD you burnt earlier.