Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reboot disk WinSp SP3

• Please log in to reply

donnelle

donnelle

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have my pre-loaded windows xp sp3 keycodes...Dell Inspiron 6000 already had windows loaded. I need a disk, or I have been told, to reboot windows XP after I reformat. Should I take laptop to someone to do this? [/size] Is it hard to do?
I have new laptop and I am giving this Dell laptop to a semi-handicapped friend that needs it. I want it clean and ready to go. I donot have documents,email, music, or photos to worry about on laptop. I have written down all programs that I would like to reload for "My Friend Marilyn". I ran a summary report of system....I also ran Belarc Advisor...not sure why, but was told to do that.
donnelle

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
If you have a recovery CD or a recovery partition on the laptop, then running either recovery will put the laptop back to the way it was from the factory. It will automatically reformat and load everything for you.

If you have a recovery partition, you need to do the following:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them. It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

If you have recovery CD's, then you will most likely have to set the bios up to boot from CD. I would try the CTRL + F11 method first.

I assume that you are having no other issues other than wanting to clean the computer of all personnal data.

Please let us know how you make out or have any more questions.

donnelle

donnelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I want to reformat the hard drive....not just wipe away personal data. If I do what you suggested first....will the drive be back to 40GB? ......and Windows XP SP3 be automatically reloaded?
I want "my friend" to have this computer running like it did when I purchased it in Oct 2005.The Dell Inspiron 6000 has 1GB DDR2 40 GB H.Drive.
As of today there is 22.36 free space. The laptop is 1.6 gigahertz intel pentium M .34.95 usable hard drive.
I guess I didn't understand if I wipe it clean out to reinstall my WINXP SP3.? It was preloaded for me.
If I do what you suggested first....will the drive be back to 40GB......and Windows XP SP3 be automatically
reloaded? I need to make a reboot disk, right? :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Reformatting will restore the computer to day 1 when you bought it.

Do you have a XP cd with SP 3 on it?
Do you have a recovery partition?
Do you have recovery CD/ floppy?

You most likely have a recovery partition, at least that is what I found using a google search. A reformat through the partition (or CD's) is the best way to go because it will reload all of the necessary drivers that are required. It is the fastest and easiest.

If you reformat and install XP with the XP cd, then you will need to find all of the appropriate drivers. This can be done, but is more difficult. We can help you with that if needed. The Belarc report you ran will help. Just print it or save it to a flash drive.

Let us know how you want to proceed.