Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Making a wired printer wireless

• Please log in to reply

hudson09

hudson09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so first of all, hi, first post!

Here's the setup: I have three computers (a desktop running XP, a desktop running Vista, and a laptop running Vista). The two Vista computers connect wirelessly to the internet through a router I have connected to the XP computer with an ethernet cable.

I have an HP 832c deskjet printer which is hooked up to the XP desktop. It's shared on the network so I can print to it from the other desktop and the laptop provided that the XP computer is turned on.

What I want is to be able to print from my laptop (and other desktop) without having my XP computer turned on. I'm looking for the cheapest/easiest solution but I'm aware those may be mutually exclusive - the printer is old but works well so I don't want to replace it. HP suggested a new router but Verizon gave me my current one and I'd rather not mess with my internet connection (if it ain't broke...).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements