Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd/cdr drive not recognizing discs --cdrs

• Please log in to reply

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi all,

it's been a little while since i last posted, thanks to everyone's help!

well, my cdr/dvd drive won't recognize cdr's as well as music discs. It does however, recognize dvd's...

the drive in question is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D. I've gone into device manager and it says that the drive is properly working..i've also uninstalled it to no avail, and also tried to update the driver but wasn't sure if i did the correct one, when i do run the updated driver, it tells me that it's already updated...
please help...i just burned a disc last night, then i put the pc to sleep and when i got up this morning to burn the disc the drive couldn't recognize the blanks...

The driver update is named DVR112D_FW109EU
I also inserted a blank dvd and it does recognize that too

Just tried another burned cdr -different brand and it did not recognize that either...

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sounds like time for a new drive as they use different lasers for cds and dvds

sidewaysmck

sidewaysmck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
that's what i was thinking....just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas

Thanks!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
IF you've done and recent updates ( software wise mainly ) or even if you haven't you could google your model to see if there are known issues but usually it means a laser when it sees some but not all types of disks.... though you could try a cd cleaner to see if that takes care of the issue also.... however note that cleaners in my experience have also been known to finish off a drive.... so if you have stuff to burn to dvd do that first.....