Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Questions

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have a DLink wireless G router and if I turn my laptop off the only way to reconnect to the network is to physically unplug the router and reset it. I actually have 2 laptops that do this every time, an Acer (Vista) and a Dell (XP). The wired desktop is fine as are the 2 desktops my kids use wirelessly, no problems. Is there a way for me to fix this problem? Than ks for any advice.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello,

Since you say you have two other machines working over the wireless it would appear the wireless router itself is working correctly. If you could answer the following it would help me direct you a bit better to an answer. Also the tests below will be easiest to follow along in XP as I don't have Vista in front of me right now so it would be easier to follow from the Dell.

• If you disconnect all of the machines from the wireless and only connect one of the problematic laptops does it still have problems?
  • Is it actually disconnecting or just stops working? Do you still see it as being connected when it stops working?
  • Will the problematic laptops reconnect if you repair the connection? (See instructions below)

If you don't know how to find something from one of my questions above just let me know.

Edited by Untalented, 21 May 2009 - 07:39 AM.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Repair the Connection
  • Click Start
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click Switch To Classic from the Left Panel *Only if you see this*
  • Click Network Connections
  • Right-Click your Wireless Connection and Click Repair
  • Report if the Internet begins working again
Check if Windows Manages your Wireless Networks
  • Right-Click your Wireless Connection and Click Properties
  • Click the Wireless Networks tab
  • Check if Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings is checked and just tell me if it is or not.
If the above was checked then follow the below:

Verify Auto Connect In Configuration in Windows XP
  • In Preferred Networks find your network and click it then click Properties
  • Verify Connect even if this network is not broadcasting is checked
  • Click the Connection tab
  • Verify Connect when this network is in range is checked

Edited by Untalented, 21 May 2009 - 07:41 AM.