Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

miLl3niUm

miLl3niUm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello GeeksToGo community :) I am a new member here and I would like to ask your advice with an upgrade.

My current specifications (I don't know which of these are necessary but this is what I gathered from system information):

OS: MS Windows 7 Ultimate (I also have Windows Vista but I have permanently moved to Windows 7 2-3 weeks ago)
Version: 6.1.7100 Build 7100
System Model: HP Compaq dx7400 Microtower
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

The upgrade I would like to have is +2GB Ram (4GB total). The only thing that stops me to buy this upgrade is money. I don't like to spend money on useless stuff. The main things that interest me on computer are internet, gaming and the visual effects of win 7. I have searched a bit for 32/64bit systems and I found out that 32bit can't use more than 2GB ram. Is this true? Should I buy the upgrade?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 7 is Release Candidate, not final. Unless you buy a new copy as and when the software is released, it will time out next June.

32-bit Windows can't use more than 4Gb. Most systems will show up as 3.2-3.5Gb available. Whether you realistically need 4Gb of memory depends entirely on what you're running. 2Gb is usually enough. Don't forget Windows 7 is much lighter on a system than Vista, which is capable of running like treacle given half a chance even on a decent setup.

miLl3niUm

miLl3niUm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will get Windows 7 as soon as the final version is released. Do you think it will be a noticeable upgrade in games with 4GB, instead of 2GB?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You might see small improvements in some games, but you'd see much bigger gaming improvements by upgrading your graphics card.