Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application will not start.

• Please log in to reply

ossint

ossint

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a laptop, a Dell Vostro 1510, using MicroSoft Xp pro (OEM). When trying to start an old application (.exe) I get a message that the program faced some problems and has to stopp. Also there is message to MS regarding the failure. The program, which uses the soundcard to make some measurements works fine in other computers and also, other applications from the same provider, as this one, works fine on this laptop.

DELL adviced to re-install the OS, which I did, and also to load the various drives in a specific order, which I also did, but no succes.

The soundcard is of REALTEK make and the drivers are the latest available.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What's the name of this ancient application please?

ossint

ossint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

What's the name of this ancient application please?

It is a measurement program called "Tombstone" since it simulates the function of an old Bruel&Kjaer equipment. The program does not use any dll's or other connections. It is an .exe program without any special requirements.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-click on the EXE file and choose the compatibility tab. Select the previous version of Windows that this program worked under and that should allow it to run again. This does not work for every program.