Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'My Computer' not showing Drive letters

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

I know this has probaley been done to death but here goes again.

For no apparent reason when i insert my USB stick into any of the USB1 or 2 slots, the drive letter doesn't appear in 'My Computer' it used to do straight away as Drive I:\

It still is Drive I:\ if i go into 'Run' or into safely remove hardware it is there but not in My Computer.

I have been down into the murky depths of Disc Management and it shows up no problem there as well.

Also for some strange reason - I have two DVD drives installed 'D' and 'E' a third has started to show 'H' ????

Yet this one doesn't quite rightly show up in Disc Management but for all intent and purposes it acts like a proper drive in 'Properties' for e.g

No idea how to stop this happening or why XP thinks i have 3 devices installed, it also doesn't appear in 'System' either only in My Computer.

any ideas?

much appreciated.

Rob

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Tweak UI
  • Download and install Tweak UI.
  • Run Tweak UI, go to My Computer > Drives.
  • Check the drive you want to show. Click OK.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 23 May 2009 - 12:31 AM.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks Dragon, used to have TweakUi and uninstalled it for some reason. Works a treat with finding my drives now but still cant figure out where it found the 3rd DVD drive from? Oh well unticked all boxes apart from the drives i want.