Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen Installed Drivers on XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

headphone69

headphone69

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have a 2.0 GHZ processor, 2 gigs of ram and a GeForce 6800 Go video card

Installed XP Home Edition on new 250gb hardrive that i just installed. I was installing the drivers off of the dell website for my inspiron 9300 and i think i might have installed the videocard driver because once i rebooted the system the screen turns black after the windows loads. I tried "Start Windows Normally" and "Last Known Good Configuration" and got the same thing a Black Screen. Then i tried running in Safe Mode and it just freezes on "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

I even tried putting the XP cd back in and rebooting with that to do a whole new install of windows but it won't let me

Any help will be much appriciated, Thanks

Ryan

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I even tried putting the XP cd back in and rebooting with that to do a whole new install of windows but it won't let me

Explain "It won't let me."

This problem might require a full format and reinstall of Windows.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
MUP.SYS is rather nasty problem.
Nasty, because there is not sure solution to it.
The best, I can do for you, are two links:
http://www.aitechsol...s-resolved.html
inside, there another sub-link to:
http://www.aitechsol...inxpnoboot.html

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Those links lists these as possible problems:
1. PSU (This and the motherboard would be the last suspected problem causers, as they would require some money to fix)

2. Graphics card or onboard graphics chip
You can see if this is the issue by running a diagnostic, usually supplied with your computer.

3. USB device
In this case try booting with all usb devices not plugged in.

4. Bad filesystem
You have to run chkdsk /r to see if that fixes your problem

5. Bad Registry
One of the links Broni gave you has instructions on restoring your registry. You can also click on "Fix a Corrupted Registry" in my sig and follow Microsoft's instructions.

6. BIOS Issues
Try reverting the BIOS settings to the factory or fail-safe defaults.

The last step you should try to take is to boot from a minimal system. That means using only 1 stick of RAM, removing any addon cards (like a PCI video card, or a sound card), and using a PS/2 keyboard.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The MUP.sys problem indicates a problem with the driver loading after mup.sys, so try leaving your computer on for about an hour to 2 hours and wait to see if it will boot. If it won't, then a reformat is usually the only recovery for this problem, although you can try the steps above.

If you want to get some files back, click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in mt sig, and follow the instructions to back up your files to an external media before a reformat.

headphone69

headphone69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for all the Help, at first it wouldn't allow me to reinstall windows like i kept rebooting it but nothing but i got it to reinstall windows finally so thanks again for the help

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Great!
Good to see that this problem is resolved. :)

If you have any more questions, we will be glad to answer them. :)