Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frustrating SP3 issues on Windows XP.

• Please log in to reply

Ishikawa Jusaan

Ishikawa Jusaan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hope I've posted this in the right place; sorry if I haven't. I'm not very technologically inclined, but I will try my best.

Most people have no doubt heard about cases matching mine where a restart after downloading Service Pack 3/SP3 (I shouldn't have let the automatic updates download it automatically for me, since it was put in effect the moment I restarted for an irrelevant reason) causes the laptop to find itself stuck in an endless cycle of reboots prompted by the ol' BSOD.

Luckily, I can actually get into Safe Mode, and sometimes (like now - it seems pretty random), I can access things under normal settings. However, this glitchy service pack has messed up my Comodo firewall and Avira anti-virus, and refuse to allow them to work. I've run different scans for trojans and malware (Like the online trojan checker, and Dr. Web, and nothing came up. System Restore also won't work.

Oddly enough, SP3 doesn't show up under Add and Remove Programs/Updates (people have suggested deleting it this way), despite my computer stating, under System, that I am indeed using SP3. I've also tried some commands people have suggested I input in RUN, and my computer didn't find the specified files.

What on earth should I do, short of cursing at the screen and throwing my laptop out the window?

At the ends of my wits and keeping my fingers crossed,

N.

Thank you so much for reading.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour occurs on most HP branded computers and laptops.
A hotfix is available from HP's website that you install, reboot and then install SP3. It should then not blue-screen on a normal load any longer.

If Add/Remove does not list Service Pack 3, uninstall it as follows in Safe Mode:

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. When the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Removal Wizard starts, click Next.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP3.

Ishikawa Jusaan

Ishikawa Jusaan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
"1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Open box, and then click OK."

Right - the computer declares this location to be 'unavailable' when I try to follow this step. :/ I think I will look into this hotfix you spoke of, and see what happens from there. Thank for replying!

Edit: It seems going into Safe mode and renaming a particular file made my firewall work again, and allowed me to log in without a BSOD. I sure hope this is permanent.

Edited by Ishikawa Jusaan, 21 May 2009 - 10:43 AM.