Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with motherboard/CPU upgrade

• Please log in to reply

littleyellow

littleyellow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I recently purchased an XFX Geforce8200 mobo with an AMD Phenom 9500 and 2x2gb dual channel RAM as a complete upgrade to my old 2600+ system. While putting it all together, I have hit a brick wall when it comes to getting my HDD to work with the new parts. I know that I need to either repair my XP or format it altogether to get everything to run right but I cannot for the life of me get that to happen.

I cleaned all the files off of my secondary HDD in that comp for the purpose of using that as a clean install but no matter how I try to get it to get formatted or get the system to boot, it leaves me with nothing.

The walls that I run into are either:
1) a blinking cursor on boot (booting from and old Dell XP Home CD)
2) "INF file txtstatus.inf file corrupt or missing, status 40% setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit" (booting from XP Pro upgrade)
3) missing or corrupt hal.dll when trying to use any other boot disk or cd (even when I choose "boot from CD " and have my bios boot from it first.

I have also tried to run windows repair but the setup always locks up as soon as i click the "install windows" button on the autorun screen

I have officially run out of ideas that won't cause permanent damage to the walls of my house......

Thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) The Dell CDs are usually tied to only work on Dell machines.
2) Either reason 1, defective memory or a defective CD unit/disk.
3) This may be a issue with your hard drive.

littleyellow

littleyellow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1) Kinda what I thought.
2) Not a Dell CD, used known good memory and disc has worked recently but I suppose it could be the case
3) After more research I believe this error to only mean that the hard drive still has ghosts of Windows and tries to boot from it

New: Tried to use the Ultimate Boot CD, still will not boot the computer, even tried with memory I know is good.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you disconnect the hard drive altogether does it boot up with a bootable disc?