Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Has someone stolen my friends RAM?!

• Please log in to reply

Danstar10

Danstar10

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi all,

I have just gotten a Toshiba Satellite A60-672 laptop from a friend. He gave it to me as it "suddenly started being really slow" - I am thinking maybe it was sent for a health check and some RAM got pinched / replaced?

It is listed as having 256MB of RAM, but it only reads 192MB on task manager (and 192 in CPUZ memory tab but 256 in CPUZ SPD tab?!)

There is a 'slot' at the back which is under a panel which appears to have a pic of RAM on it and it is empty... See attached picture.

I dont know if / where there is another slot for RAM (I have upgraded PCs but this is my first venture into laptops!)

My question is - should there be RAM in the slot pictured?

And also what RAM would you reccomend I get? What speeds etc do I need? - i want to boost it to 1GB? It takes DDR memory.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• NO_RAM_small.jpg

Edited by Danstar10, 21 May 2009 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Also the 64mb of ram that is "missing" is most likely used by the video.

Danstar10

Danstar10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OK - so is the 256MB 'onboard memory'? i.e built into the motherboard.. and the slot is like an expansion slot?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Go to Crucial web site and let the scanner look at the laptop and what it has.
I went there and put in Toshiba/ A60 series and got the following (# Maximum Memory: 1280MB) and # Slots: 1 (1 bank of 1)
# Standard Memory: 256, 512, or 768MB (256MB non-removable)
# USB Support: 2.x Compliant)

What that means is that the laptop has 256mb of memory on the board (non-removable). Since you report 192mb, what that means is that your video is using 64mb.
Maximum the laptop will take is 1280mb (256 + 1024 = 1280). So you can add a 256, or a 512, or a 1gb ram chip.