Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blinking cursor on boot up

• Please log in to reply

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it a XP Pro Genuine Disk or a copy?
We may have to do a Repair Installation to see if we can fix the other problems now since SFC didn't fix anything.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
It's a copy. The flashing cursor occurs once in a while. It started after I did the Kaskersky scan in safe mode before when I was looking for malware..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a Registration key on your system for the Windows XP that was originally installed on your system?

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
yes

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then what you need is a Genuine Windows Xp Pro disk and not a copy.
First reason is because a copy will usually not have all the files
Second is because if you use it then there is no way to make sure that the repair installation will work correctly and may cause lost of data or corruption of software and\or hardware installed.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I don't think I can get. Can't I do a reformat?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can format and do a fresh install.

Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh :)

Please let me know if there is anything i can assist you with, but as I said with a COPY and not a Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro cd. I can not say with any certainly that it will fix the problem or cause more problems. :)

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I've never re-formatted before. Are the instructions easy to follow so I won't screw up? I appreciate your help.
thx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Step by step with pictures showing each step. If you follow them you will have no problem.
Again i will emphasize that I can not say this will work since you are using a burn copy of XP and not a Genuine Microsoft CD

Advertisements

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Ok thanks. It may be a a while before I sit down and do this. Keep my fingers crossed. What r u thinking is wrong with my comp?