Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

somthing wrong

• Please log in to reply

dooms982

dooms982

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I was working on a CG project and when i was rendering all of sudden my computer would shutdown by itself, I turn it on again it would stay on till it completely reboot and i would log in i was about to transfer my files to another drive and the it shut itself again, then i wen to bios to see if something was wrong there and it still shut down, i asked a friend and he said it was a good chance it would be the power supply so I replaced that and i still get the problem. So was listening to the beep code and about 7 sec. a short beep happend then a wait then 11 sec. after the first another short beep happen. im about to do some more checks when i get back home. in this testing im going to remove all chips set and leave the video card and one stick of ram on.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sudden shutdowns are also a sign of heat related issues. Make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust, and all fans are spinning fine.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
sorry its kinda hard to get to a computer, there is no dust in the computer since that is one of the thing i did check for. im thinking it might be the motherboard or the two ram cards. i took off all the pci cards and DVD drive and left only one HD and i took off one ram card turn it on and it will still shut down, i used the other ram card and it still shut down, i used both ram cards and it still shut down, im know thinking it might be the motherboard that went wrong but i still want two double check to see if its not the two ram card is there a way to check this, or is there another way to double check the mother board

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Using the floppy method is generally easier (and another reason to include floppy drives in new builds). However, the CD method is just as effective at detecting RAM problems. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information.
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here.

You might want to swap in a known good PSU.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok thank a good PSU is what im trying to go look for, kinda hard to find and since this is my first/new build; i heard somewhere i could used a flash drive or is it not recommended?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:
  • Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
  • Efficiency,
  • Total wattage.
Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

Flash drive for what?

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
yeah sorry i was talking about a motherboard not PSU, but this PSU calculator is good for future use. is there other way to test the motherboard other then bios?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Are you looking at replacing your MOBO?

About your question with the flash drive:

Memtest 86 can be setup on a flash drive... there are instructions on how to do this at the website for the program...

This program doesn't test your bios, but checks your Ram for errors... it is a very good test...

But

Like digerati stated sudden shut downs are usually attributed to overheating...

Download SPEEDFAN this program will tell you the temps of your system(if you haven't already done this)

is this a computer you built?

Did you use thermal paste on the cpu/heatsink interface?(if not this can also cause the problem)

Then post its findings here on your next reply...

good luck hope this helps...

cbarnard

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
the thermal paste i used was already on the CPu when i bought it new. and i cant seem to have it run long enough to test it out, but ill see what i can do.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
nothing wrong with the ram i tested them on my friends computer, i also tried doing a boot on a CD for the MemTest and it would still shut down, i check the CPU by removing the heat sink to see if the paste spilled an no nothing has spilled, i even removed any small amount of trap dust. So my computer is still shuting down any idea's :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PsU failure
MOBO failure
CPU failure

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

PsU failure
MOBO failure
CPU failure

Ditto:

Click here follow the instructions...

The part about removing the MOBO and placing it on cardboard.

See if that will help you out

Also when you remove a CPU from the MOBO new thermal paste should be applied after you have removed the old...(small amount no ozing)

Good luck

Cbarnard

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
ok ill try that out "the cardboard one" i was looking at the paste and still had the same factory made design wasn't faded or anything but if i need to but some new paste on then i would go buy some and apply; as for amount about a size of a penny?? it can't be PsU since the is the first thing i replace on impulse (well at lest i ruled one out)

By Doby

Still won’t go

1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with hsf, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

If all the above fails to produce a post start a topic in the Geeks to Go hardware forum explaining what you have done and listing your full system specs

i have standoffs on but i will still check to just make sure.

Edited by dooms982, 29 May 2009 - 07:28 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
if that test didn't work...

please give us the specs on your entire computer: all hardware and what OS you are using...

This will help us determine if you have a hardware conflict...

good luck

cbarnard

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
it stayed on for a little while and it failed on me, i was also looking at the bottom of my mother board the area's were the screws go in it looks like i strip some of the little welded dots that se[areted the board to the stand offs

here are the specs

Asus P5Q Pro - $139.99
This comes with IEEE 1394a port, if you ever need it. Getting the expensive motherboard is not going to benefit you, you'll only be wasting money. You have to check if you're going to take advantage of the features of the ASUS Maximus Extreme like 2 PCI-e slots (speed of x16 each), good overclocking board, etc. Since you're not a big gamer, you'll only be using one PCI-E slot and you already mentioned you're not overclocking.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 - $324.99
Since we're saving a bit of money from the motherboard, I think this will benefit you more.

G.SKILL 2x2GB PC2-8500 - $109.99
I believe that DDR3 RAM is a waste of money right now and DDR2 would be the way to go.

Corsair 750W - $129.99
There's no need for a 1000W power suply, this would be more than enough.

Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM - $189.99
Raptors are so expensive, I think you should just split up your hard drive in two instead of buying the higher capacity Raptor. Use this 150GB for your OS and then buy a Western Digital 640GB ($84.99) for your files.

video card is a HIS Redeon HD 4850 PCI express 512MB GDDE3

Samsung DVD-Drive - $27.99
I'm not familiar with Lightscribe (if that's what you needed), but I've always trusted Pioneer and Samsung.

the OS, Vista Home Premium 64-bit