Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

TF2 Screen Crash

• Please log in to reply

johnny boy

johnny boy

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Okay, I am an avid TF2 player and a while back my PC started randomly "shutting down" while playing TF2 and i eventually realized that it was just the monitor. Now it seems to happen all the time, even after the PC has been off for a while and everything is cool. Have tried every OS from Vista To XP to Linux. Updated all Drivers for video card, reinstalled Steam and TF2 ...several times.

Specs:
4GB Ram
Core 2 duo 2.13Ghz
9600GT
Monitor is an LG L196W
Running Windows XP Pro

TF2 will run fine, no Graphics glitches, and then the screen will just go black. If im streaming music online, the music will still play, so the PC is still running. The video cards fan does Go to max speed it seems when this does happen.

You guys have been very helpful in the past, and I hope you can be again!

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

*****EDIT*****

Well the screen just crashed again, except for the first time, i wasn't running TF2, so i guess that rules the game out, and this might need to be moved the the hardware forums?

Edited by johnny boy, 22 May 2009 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I would start by checking the event log (Right click My Computer -> Manage -> Event Log and look at the system and application tabs.) Try to find errors or warnings that occured right when your screen went black.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey thanks for the reply! Didnt see any errors right before the screen went black.

Right after i posted this i was able to play TF2 for about a solid hour with no problems, and then after a while i logged on again, and was just spectating for under a minute, and it crashed. So I'm pretty sure it is NOT an overheating problem..while I could be wrong.

Could it have something to do with my monitor and or the DVI cable running from the card to the monitor? Should i use VGA?

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
My guess would be the video card, are you getting any distorted colors, streaks, or anything of that matter?

Edited by Trippster, 26 May 2009 - 01:30 PM.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thats the thing...When the game does run, it runs smooth with close to 100 fps, and no streaking/flashing/off colors, it just boom, no screen. Card is under or just 1 yr old...checked with GPU-Z and the temps dont really go over 50 C. Normal running it stays at like 40C.

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
When you say no screen, do you mean your monitor shuts off (power button goes orange)? Or does it just go black, and for how long? Do you have to manually reboot when this happens?

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
It does go orange, which is like standby mode on my monitor(like thre is no signal). And it is forever, i have to manually restart for it to come back. I'm about to start swapping parts to rule them out.

Have a spare vid card, so im gonna plug that in and see what happens, if its not that, then has to be either Power supply or processor i think.

Almost 100% sure its not a sofware/game issue. HAve installed 5 Different OS's both 64 and 32 bit, and reinstalled TF2 several times.

Thanks for your help!

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
It is either video card or monitor if your monitor is actually turning off. Usually it doesnt go orange right away if it doesnt get a signal, it will stay green trying to detect signals before doing its standby.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Must be the Card then? Because I used this monitor with my laptop to play TF2...and have no no such issues

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Yea I would try swapping the video card out and see what happens if you can. Or if your card is still under warranty give them a call and ask them their opinion.

Also is this a custom PC or a manufacturer pc? If you built it what size psu do you have in it?

Edited by Trippster, 01 June 2009 - 09:44 AM.