Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Userinit Logon Failure at Start of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cellar97

cellar97

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem Description: I recently had automatic updates installed, service pack and iexplorer 8, and now my computer will only work in safe mode. When I try to logon normally, I get a Userinit Logon failure at start up, and explorer will not run. My system details are below.

I have run windows updates, tried system restore, registry, virus and spyware software, but have not been able to fix the problem.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model TECRA M5
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1663 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA Version 1.20, 8/3/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 710.13 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Operating System: WindowsXP

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you try rolling back to before "automatic updates installed, service pack and iexplorer 8" those were installed, using System Restore?

What exactly is the userinit failure you are talking about? What is the error message?
Can you CTRL + ALT + DEL and go to File and then click on Run. Try typing in explorer.exe in the Run box.

Go here: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Follow the steps in that guide, and post in the Malware Forum with the required logs if your problem persists.

cellar97

cellar97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The failure is for the Windows XP. I can use Cont Alt Del to open the task manager, but when I try to start a new task, I get the typical microsoft "an error has occurred and task manager needs to close". Neither the task bar nor desktop icons apear. I tried restoring to previous install dates but the system will not restore. And now, I can't even log on. The windows user icon apears, I enter my user name and password, windows says I am logging on and I am automatically logged off immediately before the desktop apears. From what I have read I think the Esplorer.exe was replaced in the registry by Userinit.exe.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does your computer still run in safe mode? If so, then use the guide I gave you earlier, and post in the Malware Forum.

If your computer won't even run in safe mode, then we can try restoring the registry. Click on "Fix a Corrupted Registry" in my sig, and follow the instructions.
If you don't have your Windows CD, then click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and use the instructions to make a CD.

dizzz

dizzz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh ive just had the same problem. apparently, windows update for winXP prof to SP3 screws up your winlogon.exe and/or userinit by replacing it with a new winlogon (gina dll issue) or something like that.

just get your hands on an userinit file from some other pcs or from the web.

- get to safe mode and replace damage userinit file with a new one. usually in windows and/or in system32.

- log on/log off loop is caused by damaged userinit.