Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and XP Pro on Same Volume?

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Is it possible that I have OS Windows XP on my Windows XP Pro computer?

Weeks ago I migrated what I thought were selected files from my XP computer to an XP Pro computer. Ever since the XP Pro is slow opening and closing programs, and especially slow on the internet, taking over a minute for pages to open, and typing is so slow that I don't even see it until I'm finished and then my typing appears.

Searching for the problem I finally did a system restore back before the migration. Well, I couldn't get online but that's because I've made changes to our home network since then. So I undid the system restore and for the first time since the migration when the computer was restarting I saw "Windows XP Pro" is shutting down. What I always see now is "Windows XP" is shutting down.

I realize this is a shot in the dark, but if I somehow migrated XP to the XP Pro computer, is there a way to find it, and correct it?

Thank you for your attention.

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
It sounds like you attempted to install/upgrade to XP Pro and in the process corrupted it. I would recommend that you perform a repair install of the OS. Be sure to backup the data before attempting the recovery.

Instructions on how to perform a repair install...

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Source: http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thank you.

It sounds like you attempted to install/upgrade to XP Pro and in the process corrupted it. I would recommend that you perform a repair install of the OS.

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear.

No, my computer came with XP Pro preinstalled (I have no installation CD). What I was trying to do was migrate certain files from a computer that had Windows XP. In the process, I'm wondering if I somehow migrated XP over to the XP Pro machine. This does not seem possible, and as I say it's just another shot in the dark as I search for the cause of my slow XP Pro machine.

It just seems like I've got duplicate files or conflicting files of some kind. The XP Pro was fast before the migration, as we are on broudband (cable). My wife's machine loads pages in 3 seconds and my Macintosh loads instantaneously.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 22 May 2009 - 11:30 AM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear.

No, my computer came with XP Pro preinstalled (I have no installation CD). What I was trying to do was migrate certain files from a computer that had Windows XP. In the process, I'm wondering if I somehow migrated XP over to the XP Pro machine. This does not seem possible, and as I say it's just another shot in the dark as I search for the cause of my slow XP Pro machine.

It just seems like I've got duplicate files or conflicting files of some kind. The XP Pro was fast before the migration, as we are on broudband (cable). My wife's machine loads pages in 3 seconds and my Macintosh loads instantaneously.

well then, let's see if we can figure this out.

1) Download this... http://dw.com.com/re.....=dl-WhatsRunn

2) Take a snapshot and save the contents to file.

3) Upload the file to mediafire so I can have a look... http://www.mediafire.com/

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
How long does What's Running take? It's been an hour or so. When should I click "Take snapshot"?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

How long does What's Running take? It's been an hour or so. When should I click "Take snapshot"?

The program should only be running for about 3 minutes or so. make sure you close any programs you have open first. my goal in using this program is to see weather there are any traces of malware. if i find any then i'll direct you to the correct section. if not, the trouble shooting process can continue. :)

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
OK, my friend. Did you receive my file to mediafire?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

OK, my friend. Did you receive my file to mediafire?

Mediafire should provide you with a link. You'll need to post it so I can download it.

for example: http://www.mediafire...php?mgrvjoy13mz

Edited by Ectech, 22 May 2009 - 03:23 PM.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Like this?

What's Running

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
ok, good news... you don't seem to be infected.

It looks like your computer could just use a little tuning.

the first thing you should do is remove some of the startup entries that you have.

click start | Run | type "msconfig" (without the quotes) | click ok

select the startup tab, now uncheck everything except for Kaspersky.

click apply > then ok > restart your machine.

Next, several items I recommend that you remove from the computer.

1) Logitech Desktop Messenger

2) Canon printers or cameras if you do not use either on this machine.

Next, download and run these...

1) http://www.ccleaner.com

2) http://stevengould.o.../CleanUp452.exe

Next, update your Kaspersky it looks to be outdated. The current version is here...

http://devbuilds.kas...ilds/8.0.0.506/

Or better yet, use NIS 2009 it's lighter on resource's :)

Next, defrag your system using PerfectDisk...

And Finally, install some more memory.

Currently, it looks like you have 512Mb of RAM. I'd double that... to 1 Gb

Edited by Ectech, 22 May 2009 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I shall go through all your recommendations one at a time and report back.

Currently, it looks like you have 512Mb of RAM. I'd double that... to 1 Gb

Will this machine have the capacity for this. Please know that I understand a lot that matters to me (e.g., the need for more memory for my huge graphic files) but am ignorant of much else you suggest. Can you tell me what to buy in terms of RAM? What is 1Gb translated in terms of Mb? I do have some memory modules that might be appropriate for my machine, or not.

See you in a day or so.

Thank you very much for your knowledge and time.

Have a great weekend.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Thank you sir.

This is the info:

1GB 184-pin DIMM
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Tigerdirect or Newegg for comparing prices.
I suggest crucial or mushkin memory but the choice is yours in the end. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 May 2009 - 05:10 PM.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

1GB 184-pin DIMM
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700

Thing is I don't see the DIMM. Does this matter?

Here's what I've found:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145086

Is this correct for what my system requires?

My choice, yes. And I don't expect you to do my shopping choices for me. But you do know things I don't.

I don't remember when I last opened the computer paying much attention to the memory slots.

Questions:

1. If there's an empty slot or two would I keep what memory I already have in place?

2. Or take out the memory I have and install this?

Thanks much for taking interest in my problem and offering more than I can find to repay you for it.