Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unplugged Cable Problem

• Please log in to reply

wintershade

wintershade

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not a networking expert, so I'll try to explain what I can. I've googled some similar problems and haven't been able to find a solution that has worked.

I have windows Vista. My computer is about 3 months old. I was on the internet one night, went to bed, then the next morning I couldn't find a connection. I use a hardline connection for this PC because I do my banking on it. I noticed my Firefox and Opera were set to Offline mode. Then when I tried to go to any website it displayed the ....cannot connect to network because cable is unplugged....message. My cables are plugged in. I tried getting a new cable and replacing it. I tried the "self-ping" test to see if my card was no longer working. Everything seems okay. I've messed around with things I've read and now I keep getting this "connect broadband connection" box that comes up every time i try to load a page.

I've tried the vista diagnostic test that it gives me the option for and all of the other connection wizard stuff. Nothing works. I have no idea what to do except reinstall windows. And I'd like to know how to fix it so this doesn't become a monthly re-occurrence.

Anybody know what's going on?

Advertisements

wintershade

wintershade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
By the way, I am working with an Embarq DSL Modem/Router combo. I get a wireless connection on this computer as well as every other computer in my house (and can hardline my Xbox360 in any port successfully). So the Router is working too. I've tried to release and renew the IP, but it says it can't while the cable is disconnected even though it is connected.

Edited by wintershade, 22 May 2009 - 01:56 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Is there any chance one of your connection is disabled? You may need to go into Network Settings and look at adapter settings. See if any have the status of disabled.

wintershade

wintershade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, and I'm new to Vista so I can't find the specific panel with Adapter settings all listed.

Everywhere I look it always says Network Cable Unplugged. I just want to be able to connect by an ethernet cable, don't want wi-fi for this PC. I looked at my config and it says for my Ethernet Local Area Network Connection:

Media state..................................media disconnected
Connection specific DNS suffix...............gateway.2wire.net

Not sure where to go from here. I've tried right-clicking on any connections to diagnose and it is always unsuccessful. I am always looking for an "enable connection," but there is no such option anywhere. And unless I'm doing it wrong I cannot create a new connection to get it to work again. Seems like it just keeps telling me that it can't do anything because my cable is unplugged. I'm stumped!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Here we go:
Start --> Control Panel -->Network and Sharing Center--> On the left hand side, you will see Manage Network Connections. This is where you will look for any that are disabled.

If you don't see Network and Sharing Center, you may need to click on classic view on the left hand side of control panel.

wintershade

wintershade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, that is one that I had looked at. It says:

Broadband Connection Disconnected WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet

If I'm not mistaken the first one might be a connection that only appeared after I tried a set up wizard to fix the problem. In either case, the second one is the one I have been using. But it only allows me to either Disable, Diagnose, Bridge connections, or look at properties. When I look at properties I see that every connection tool is checked. I tried to update the driver and it is already up to date. Does this help?

wintershade

wintershade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Also, I tried system restore too after it happened. Tried to go back to about 3 days before it happened and it didn't help.

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello wintershare!

Have you tried to connect another computer using the same cable and port on the modem/switch. This may be a hardware related problem. Also, look in the back of your computer to see if there are two lights flashing where you plug your ethernet cable into. One more thing you might want to take a look at are the lights on your modem/switch. Do they show that there is a connection between the modem/switch and the computer?

wintershade

wintershade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I looked for the lights on my PC and didn't see any, but I'm not sure I remembered any before like my last PC. Is it common for a PC that is only 3 months old out of the box to blow a ethernet card? And if I successfully did the self-ping test can the card still be damaged?

So I plugged the cable into my laptop and couldn't get a connection...hmmm....but if my XBOX is plugged into it, then I can still connect to XBox Live.

Any ideas?

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
It's not very common, but it's possible for it to happen. The lights should be right where you plug your ethernet cable into. Usually one's green and the other is orange.

The next step I would recommend that you take is use the cable and the port on the switch that you're using for your XBOX to connect your computer to the internet. If your connection works, then you know there's something wrong with your cable or the port on the switch.

So if it does work, the next step to take is to narrow down the possible problems by taking the known good cable (Formerly from the Xbox) and put it into another port on your switch. If you can connect, then you know that your other cable is bad and you'll need to have it replaced.