Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Motherboard..Please Help?

• Please log in to reply

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello everyone!
I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard to Asus P5KPL - AM/PS. That is the one suggested by the shop keeper himself. Please suggest if am going for the right one. He is asking for 2900 INR for this motherboard and also telling me one benefit of the same M/B having Burning components warranty i.e ANTI SURGE.
Also suggest if you'd want me to go for any other M/B except this for economic price and long term and which would also support High Quality GFX card etc. in future, which works on Petium D processor (Dual core 2.8 Ghz).
And also if you could suggest any M/B with 8gb RAM Expansion Slotz.
Thanx in advance

My present PC config:
Intel Processor: Dual Core 2.80 Ghz
Motherboard: Intel D102ggc2 with ATI Rade on Xpress 200 on board gfx card
RAM:512 MB,533Mhz
PSU:
Circle Technology

AC Input 200-240V/63Hz/5A
DC Input +12v -12v +5v -5v +3.3v +5VSB
14A 0.5A 25A 0.5A 14A 2.0A
+/-5% +/-10%

Cable Connector
ATX 20 pin(20 pin) 1 HDD/ODD 4
ATX +4 pin(4 pin) 1 FDD 1
ATX 12V CPU(4 pin) 1 SATA 1
PCI - E (6 pin)

Size L150 x W140 x H85 (mm)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why are you upgrading? The board on its own isn't the be-all and end-all of the matter. Yes it might be better but it won't run any faster.

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@neil : Any other mother board you'd suggest??

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Plenty. But that's not the point. If I may, I'd like to know why you're upgrading the system before showing you something you probably don't even need to buy.

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@Neil : Why am i upgrading: hmm..For the reason my mother board is outdated and it doesn't supports the DDR2 ram any other than 400,533Mhz. And its slot can support max. upto 2 Gb.Thats it!
And even for this motherboard, new Ram sticks are quite expensive since 533 Mhz is just not available in the market. And who so ever has it, is quoting high price for it i.e 1300 rs. for 1 gb ddr2 Ram. Am totally confused.Please help. Thought since the processor would support. So lets go for a good new M/B which would support high freq. ram as well as high quality Gfx Card.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Your Intel D102ggc2 board IS DDR2 compatible already. Therefore swapping it for another board that also takes DDR2 memory is pointless.
Replacing the board would enable you to use the Core 2 Duo Intel range of processors but you seem to be replacing the board just for the sake of replacing it because "it's old". What do you do with the computer anyway? Internet use, a spot of typing, no gaming?

In computers everything you buy is obsolete as soon as you buy it. A futureproof computer does not exist. Until somebody invents a fully functioning real-life time machine like that seen on Doctor Who or the Back To The Future films, a computer will always be bought built on obsolete technology and never be futureproof.

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hmm..Thats true. But thought of upgrading for lil gaming stuff. Even the P.S.U is not sufficient, thats waht my friends are telling me.
Graphics card, confused about..
Motherboard..no certainity!!
My budget is 7k total.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I'm going to appear a little rude here for which I apologise in advance but we're not getting anywhere and realistically we can go round in circles for posts on end and achieve absolutely nothing.

On that basis, we need to know everything about your computer and then a little bit more. Download and install this (freeware version on the left hand side):
http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

When installed, click the floppy disk icon at the top to generate a report. Click the Options button bottom right and In the Software section, uncheck everything except the top two. The Hardware option: Uncheck everything but the top four, and uncheck everything on the Network option. Choose to save the report and dump it on your desktop.

When you reply to this post, attach the generated report to your next post and that'll tell us everything we need to know about your computer.

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey!thanx for considerin my case. I installed the siw as per your suggestion, generated the report. But not able to find out options, anywhere??

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok! found it:) I have sent you the report as an attachment. Thank you again!:)

Attached Files

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Realistically for gaming you'll need more than a graphics card and a motherboard. You have a strange hard drive configuration, a strange virtual memory situation and if those dimensions in the first post are that of your PC case, a very unique case that'll be hard to use for anything else, therefore the PSU will be unique.

As this computer is two and a half years old, in my opinion you'll be better off with a graphics card, a board and if you want to stay with Intel, one of the Core 2 Duo range, on the basis you've stated a long-term aim in mind of what I've said previously about "future-proofing". Possibly a new case, hard drive and power supply as well. At that point it's effectively a new computer in all but name. The Pentium D is an old processor, not very energy efficient and runs so hot you can probably fry an egg on it. Core 2 Duos are more energy efficient, better value and run much better.

That being said, your budget is 7000 RS/Rupee. That's only £93.36, or $148.34. You may do better actually to not spend money on this system, run it into the ground or until it packs up altogether and then replace it. To spend 93 British pounds on an old computer I don't think it's worth it when you can spend as much again and replace the entire computer.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 May 2009 - 03:44 AM.

Nakul Kabra

Nakul Kabra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey! thank u so much for your help and concern. I have finalized the following thingz wid d shop keeper yday and wud be gettin them today itself:

1.PSU-Corsair VX450
2.Motherboard-ga-g31ms2l
3.Graphics card-nvdia galaxy 9500gt ddr3(512mb)
4.Ram 1gb(667mhz)

The processor am gonna keep would be the same. Since i cant afford much. So like in few days when rate lowerz down..Wud buy a new processor too:)

Hope i took right decision. Now since i have already taken it. Please support me.

Regarding the hard disk drive, i bought it dis year only in the month of feb. :)

Feel now, everythinz gonna be perfect. Pray god..

Thank you once again. Be in touch and keep me updated wid d latez newz etc.