Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wet spot on LCD

• Please log in to reply

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello.

I have a 22" LCD Monitor that just recently got wet. I let it sit for a couple weeks and just turned it on now. It looks to be working properly, except that it's got a big half a foot long stain on the screen. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of these, if possible?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Describe the stain. Does it look like there is still water in there? If not, more than likely it is the stuff that was dissolved in the water. It is likely between the panel and the polarizing layers or diffuser and there is not much you can do about it, without LOADS of work and the possibility of making things worse.

xtthew!

xtthew!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
It doesn't look like it's still wet. It looks like it's stained onto the glass or close to it. I might have had it sitting for more than two weeks, possibly even a month or so. So the odds of it still being wet is pretty low. Do you have any tips or tricks that I can try, hoping that it'll work. I think I might even go as far as doing something that might wreck it. Cause I'm trying to sell my computer and monitor to make some extra money for my soon to be born child. So either, I can fix it, or I can wreck it trying to fix it.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Well, you can try wiping it down with Deionized water or 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol. See if either of those remove it.

Otherwise, you need to take it apart. You are going to need to try taking the display panel apart.

http://www.lcdparts....aptopCCFL1.aspx

This shows you the beginnign steps, then it goes on into replacing the CCFL.

The display will be a glass display panel, 2 or more polarizing films and a diffuser. It could be anywhere in that.

Work in a dust free area ideally on a clean flat table.

It is a LOT of work.

xtthew!

xtthew!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot and see what I can do.

What precautions would you recommend I take while doing this? I'm A+ certified and read at least 5 times to never take a monitor apart unless you know what you're doing. So, the only screen I've ever taken apart was the screen of a Thinkpad Notebook.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
LCDs are much safer than CRTs. CRTs can KILL YOU with the voltages that are in there. LCDs usually can hurt you. I would unplug it and hold down the power button tot allow the caps to discharge. Then from there. You just have to figure out have to take it apart. Once inside, all monitorrs vary but there will be a power circuit board, an inverter ( you can recognize this one because it has the wires the go to the backlights), some video circuitry and the large panel.

From there take apart the panel and try to clean it. Remmber, get rid of ALL dust you can in teh room, both on the surface and in the air. The more the better because any that lands on the film can end up in the layers.

xtthew!

xtthew!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I gave it a go yesterday, and I was able to find out where the stain was. I Cleaned it off, but I don't know if I was suppose to wipe both parts that were stained. There was a big white screen and the glass screen which I ended up cracking in the corner. I cleaned both of them and put it all back together, but now it's all screwed up and probably unrepairable. But it was a cool experience! Hahaha..