Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I want to upgrade my RAM in my desktop PC which I inherited from my girlfriend a couple months ago when she bought a laptop.

I don't know much about the hardware so I downloaded a program to check out the components called SIW.

On the memory category from the left hand menu it says in Slot 1 the capacity is 1024 MB, memory type is DDR2 (PC2-5300) and speed is 333MHz (DDR2 667).

I says I have two slots in total so I assume there's one free.

Do I need to get a RAM stick of the same type as the one installed? I seem to remember reading something about that a while ago somewhere.

Cheers :)

Edited by Jaekus, 22 May 2009 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Yes. Get a similar RAM stick. Using the correct memory is vital!

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 22 May 2009 - 10:36 PM.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks for the helpful post :)

I found this on eBay, would this be appropriate?

http://cgi.ebay.com....:1|293:1|294:50

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

On 18-May-09 at 08:21:00 AEST, seller added the following information:

Please be aware this RAM is 512MB and NOT 1GB.

You are bidding on 512MB Ram removed from Lenovo Ideapad that was upgraded to 1.5GB.

Please DO NOT bid if you want 1GB of Notebook Ram.

Thanks

I hope you knew about that.

----

Please run the Crucial Memory Advisor tool, which may help you find what you are looking for!

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 25 May 2009 - 12:24 PM.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ah yeah... :)

What about this one then? I don't know what long DIMM is though.

http://cgi.ebay.com....:1|293:1|294:50

Edited by Jaekus, 23 May 2009 - 01:06 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should be able to pickup the same stick of RAM from your local computer shop in the $25-$30 range (if you're in Australia), which would be cheaper once you added in postage.

DIMM stands for Dual Inline Memory Module, just a fancy technology term to help us techies differentiate.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Troy is correct. If you take your computer to a repair shop, they can look at your RAM and instantly know what you need!

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll go into a shop and pick some up. I know the memory currently on my motherboard type and speed so I can just get the same again, or upgrade and get 2x 2GB (it said in SIW my max memory capacity is 4GB so I'm assuming this means I can get 2x2GB... ?)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Possibly... what did the Crucial scanner results say?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Here's a screenshot, I hope it helps:

Attached Thumbnails

• mem_info.JPG

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's SIW, a great tool but I'm not very familiar with it, and the information there doesn't actually give me what I'm after.

Please run the Crucial system scanner from post #4 and advise the results here, a screenshot would be good.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ah no probs, thanks and here's a screen shot, I hope it has the info you require.

Attached Thumbnails

• mem.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I see your motherboard is the M2N-MX SE. Upon searching the ASUS website for this, I find the "M2N-MX SE Plus" version. If you can confirm this is what your motherboard is (using SIW or the board's POST info), then here is the support page for your motherboard:

http://usa.asus.com/...n...l3=345&l4=0

Where we find this information:

Dual channel memory architecture
2 x 240-pin DIMM, support max. 4GB DDR2 1066/800/667/533 Non-ECC,un-buffered memory

Confirm that and you're good to go with that information. If it's incorrect, report back and we'll take a closer look.

Troy

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Using SIW it makes no mention of my motherboard being the "Plus" edition. Some of those things are different; for example, I only have 4 instead of 8 USB ports at the rear. The chipset is the same though.

I must admit I'm finding this a little confusing.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You'll find your motherboard has 4 USB ports on the rear, but has internal connectors to add an extra 4 - an example of this would be the front USB ports on a case - they connect to the internal headers.

Would you feel comfortable with opening the case and having a look inside? You wouldn't need to touch anything, just see if you can spot the model number on the motherboard.

Troy